Youth team & ‘A’ team match summary

Sunday’s 10-0 demolition of Barna-Furbo in Furbo yielded a third emphatic win out of three for Mark Kirby & Conor Jackson’s Youth (U18) team. It is much too early to judge this management duo a success, but with each dazzling win, each post-match press conference, each match report, fans are falling deeper and deeper under their spell!! Within the first 10 minutes Oisin Flannery scored a cracker as Mike Mulligan set him up with some classy play. Five minutes later a long kick out from keeper Daniel Glynn seen James Barclay get on the end of it and he made no mistake in finding the net to end his personal goal drought. Minutes later Mulligan put through Oisin Flannery who found himself one-on-one with the keeper but uncharacteristically blasted over the bar. Colemanstown’s third goal was set up by Arron Molloy who found Geordan Kenny and as Kenny throttled goalwards he was taken down and immediately the ref pointed to the spot. Up stepped James Barclay whose effort was well stopped but poorly held and like any predator Barclay was on hand to smack the rebound home to put Colemanstown in the driving seat 3-0 in charge. Arron Molloy & Harry Greaney’s hard work paid dividends as Molloy was fouled and the resultant free kick from the half way line from green giant Shaun Keane was blasted to the back of the net on 35 minutes. At this stage the hosts had a few chances but Daniel Glynn was in commanding form alongside the back four: Jack Barrett, Jason Keane, Conal Docherty and Shaun Keane. Just before half-time Barclay claimed his hat trick to his own and the teams delight. Half time 5-0 to Colemanstown.

The 2nd half brought a few changes as Shane Burke was introduced and keeper Glynn was switched to right back and Conal Docherty took up the reigns between the posts. Colemanstown continued to dominate from the re-start with Oisin Flannery netting No. 6 with a top corner job. Geordan Kenny claimed the 7th as he skipped past 4 or 5 players and placed the ball nicely past the keeper. As this stage, the Colemanstown lads were lining up to get a shot at goal. Geordan Kenny was felled in the area and Colemanstown were awarded their 2nd penalty; up stepped Mulligan who blasted wide while some fancy ball work moments later saw Mulligan hit the post. With 10mins to go Barclay hit his 4th to make it 8-0. With the entire 11 players still working hard they scored two more before the end through Mulligan who held his composure in a one-on-one situation with the keeper for his first while great work from Barclay set him up to claim his 2nd goal of the day before the final whistle.

It was a game Colemanstown completely dominated as the hosts rarely looked dangerous and failed to muster a shot on target in the second half. Possession statistics:  90% – 10%. Well done lads on a mighty performance. Squad: Daniel Glynn, Jack Barrett, Jason Keane, Conal Docherty, Shaun Keane, Harry Greaney, Arron Molloy, Oisin Flannery, Geordan Kenny, James Barclay, Michael Mulligan, Shane Burke. Thanks to Mark Kirby for the match notes.

Meanwhile a rampant Loughrea inflicted huge damage on our A team as they bowed out of the FAI Cup in Loughrea yesterday. But these lads will wipe themselves down and get back on their horse for this weekend’s game against Corrib Rangers in the league at home on Sunday.