Winning mentality continues for U18’s

Colemanstown u18’s took on Oranmore-Maree on Sunday away from home with both teams trying to keep intact their unbeaten record since the start of the season. Colemanstown players arrived in good time for this game as nine squad members had already played a tough minor hurling match earlier that morning and some magic cream needed to be applied. Colemanstown started the game brightly with chances falling to Ronan O’ Neill & Sean McGee from corners supplied by Daniel Masterson & Ronan Carr. The back four of Dylan Kelly, Ronan Carr, Brian Monaghan & Geard Warde looked steady at the back with 20 minutes played. Few chances fell to either side with both sets of midfielders struggling to get a hold on the game as Lee Murphy & Ronan O’Neill found it hard to find any space. With 30 minutes gone Colemanstown made a few tactical changes which gave them a bit more time & space on the ball as they created chances and began to get the ball to the front two, Kieran Dowd & Sean McGee. With 35 minutes gone Colemanstown broke the deadlock with Paul Lally picking up the ball from half way & took his man on & beat him as he forged towards the endline & crossed in a good ball into the six yard box. Ronan O’ Neill charged in from the left wing to tap the ball into the net. 1 nil. For the last ten minutes of the half Oranmore pinned Colemanstown back & had three great chances to get the equaliser but the brilliance of Keith Connell in goal gave a gentle breather until Colemanstown got to the break. At the start of the second half Colemanstown had some very tired legs & Oranmore started the half the way they ended the first & made it 1 all after 10 minutes. Colemanstown re-grouped and regained their shape and created some good chances from Lee Murphy, the speedy Kieran Dowd & Lorcan Molloy who came on for jaded captain fantastic Paul Lally. With 30 minutes gone in the 2nd half Lorcan Molloy won a corner which Daniel Masterson swung into the back post for Dylan Kelly to head in to make the score 2-1. With 15 minutes to go the lads dug deep and held on for a hard earned 3 points to go top of the table with a game in hand. They maintained the expansiveness they showed in their previous 2 games with great cross-field passing while also doing well on the counterattack. Well done to all the squad on a hard fought win and especially to those dual players who were involved in earlier action and still contributed handsomely to this win.

Match report supplied by Bobby Masterson.