Weekend Soccer Action (Reserves & U12’s)

Our reserve team put out a message to all youngsters at the weekend demonstrating what is drilled in to everyone as a child. ‘Play until the final whistle’. They found themselves 2-0 down on 15mins against a resolute Salthill Devon team in Colemanstown on Saturday; both goals conceded from a corner and a defensive error. Gary Lally however got one back before the break to bring Colemanstown right back into it. He got onto a long ball from the back from Paddy Mullins and snuck in behind the defence, twisted and turned tormenting the defence before beating the keeper superbly. Colemanstown restarted the second half more on top and were rewarded 20mins in when young Lee Murphy scored a piledriver from 20yards. Kenny Duane’s perfectly executed cross from the left side of the field was defended well but fell to the well positioned Murf. Salthill then gave Colemanstown what looked a pure daunting task as they scored their 3rd and 4th in quick succession with 8mins left. But Colemanstown proved ‘Its not over til its over’ as they recorded a memorable comeback to share the spoils with some late game heroics. Our 3rd came from a driving header from Johnny Lally after some good teamwork from Kenny Duane & Paddy Mullins who linked up nicely before Kenny fired in the cross which met the head of Lally. Paddy Mullins then scored with only 2mins on the clock when his perfectly taken free kick beat the wall, the defenders and the keeper. 4-4 which was no more than Colemanstown deserved. Then the spectacular almost happened as Lee murphy & Kenny Duane both hit the post with seconds to go. It was an amazing recovery from Colemanstown and I’m sure generated plenty of chat over the bank holiday weekend.

Our B team were well depleted at the weekend and so failed to field a team against Corrib Celtic on Saturday.

Our u12’s were on the back foot from the start against a strong Salthill Devon outfit but their cause was made that bit harder as the pacey Micheal Flattery had to retire early due to an injury sustained and Sean Hansberry failed to start due to an injury picked up at gaelic the evening before. Within the quarter hour mark Colemanstown were 3-0 down with 3 well taken Salthill goals leaving the mighty Darragh Roche with absolutely no chance in goals. Colemanstown’s first real chance came on 18mins as Micheal Flattery ran through the heart of the Salthill defence but his powerful driving shot from distance deflected off the post and fell to the inrushing Ryan Noone who blasted wide of the mark. 3-0 at the break. Salthill had a gift edge chance soon after the restart but Darragh Roche made a superb save as he spread himself well making it difficult for the striker who still managed to get half a shot in but Anthony Feeney tracked back well to sweep the ball off the goal line. Salthill scored their 4th & 5th in quick succession midway through the 2nd half to turn the screw. Colemanstown got 1 back through the boot of Mark Donnellan; a classic goal after a free kick from Conor Moran was poorly defended but Mark drove home from 17yards. Josh McGuire Greaney then had a good effort at goal but the ball was deflected out for a corner which was defended well and quickly worked up the field. Darragh Roche came to our aid once again with a triple save; his first a superb stop from close range which was well held. Moments later he parried the ball away from danger followed by a massive save where it tipped a corner over the bar. Salthill got another before the final whistle which Roche could simply do nothing about. It was a day these lads will want to forget as Salthill played some very formidable football but it was a good learning lesson for our lads.

Next weekend sees a quiet weekend regarding football action as we have only 1 game scheduled. Reserves play Galway Bohs at home at 2pm on Saturday. Training for u6’s, u8’s & u10’s continues on Saturday morning at 10am.