Weekend Football Action

Our weekend action saw 3 games down for decision. First up were our U12’s yesterday morning who clocked their 3rd league win on the trot steered by joint managers Gary Lally & Lee Murphy who later were to play a pivotal role in winning the Junior ‘B’ football title in Pearse Stadium. To lift 5 trophies in two seasons is exceptionally rare and to add to that a man of the match award by Captain Gary Lally is quite remarkable.  The early morning kick off didn’t affect the U12 managers too much as Gary showed plenty of speed and was at full throttle for much of the game. So too was his assistant Lee Murphy who also played a major role in this latest football success. The early morning outing was a demanding challenge for both lads who lived up well to the task. A brace apiece from Harry Mitchell & Thomas Mellody and one from Adam Cleary was enough to see these early birds win 5-2 away to Kinvara bright and early yesterday morning. Colemanstown had a relatively stress-free time of things. The game was predominantly wrapped up with ease while they never really had to hit top gear. 3 league wins to date for these lads. Match report was hard to come by but explicable in the circumstances.

‘A’ Team

There was no sign of Ophelia this morning as our ‘A’ team made their way to Millars Lane to take on Galway Bohs in the league. Hats off to the 5 Junior ‘B’ football winners who in the space of 17 hours togged again and put in a full valiant effort for the 90mins for Colemnastown: namely Gareth Lally, Richie Lally, Lee Murphy, Enda Cunniffe & Tom Flannery. Colemanstown were 2 nil up at half time thanks to Flan who scored both within 20mins. Ray Moran was the assist for his first goal as Flan found himself one-on-one with the keeper and doesn’t miss in such positions. His 2nd one was all his own making as he pressurised the Bohs defender on the ball forcing him to backpass to his own keeper who miscontrolled the shot and like a bolt of lightning Flan was in like a shot, nicked the ball off the keeper and finished well. A tired Colemanstown side restarted the 2nd half and Bohs came more into the game. They clawed their way back restoring parity within 10mins but had few chances to sneak a winner. Ray Moran clinched the all-important winner for Colemanstown 5mins from time when Flan set him up for Moran to drive low past the keeper. It was an important 3 points and I’m sure there were a few fatigued bodies afterwards that a few pints might have fixed!  Well done lads.

Under 14’s

Colemanstown took on Mervue at home this morning in their third league game of the season. Colemanstown’s first real effort for David Gilligan’s charges came on 7mins after Ryan Noone won a corner which he himself floated into the danger area, bobbled around in the box a bit before Michael Flattery finished well for his first goal of the season. The lead was short lived however, as Mervue equalised straight from the kick off when the ball somehow got dislodged from the clutches of Jason Connolly and Mervue struck into an empty net. Sean Hansberry then had 2 efforts but hit straight at the keeper. The last passage of play before half time saw a good move involving Michael Flattery and Micheal Kelly who found Sean Hansberry whose powerful drive from distance was not too far off the radar. 1-1 at half time.  The 2nd half was just 3mins old when Sean Hansberry  who was prolific in the air for this game, but his powerful header was just over the crossbar after an almost perfect connection to Ryan Noone’s corner. Jason Connolly drew a powerful save as Colemnastown were caught on the break but Michael Kelly was straight up the other end and saw his effort saved. Sean Hansberry drilled right across the face of goal as Colemanstown’s confidence was growing while they looked much more comfortable on the ball. Conor Moran then won a short kick out and although falling at the time, he recovered well to still get his shot in which wasn’t too far off the mark. With 10mins left Mark Donnellan delivered the knock-out punch to put Colemanstown 2-1 up as he struck neatly after Conor Byron did the hard work with his fine run on the flank. There was 10mins to go to party time but would Colemanstown hold on? Colemanstown’s young spirits were kept alive by our defensive rearguard who rarely put a foot wrong all day – Darragh Hansberry, Liam Molloy & Luke Lally who were assisted by wing backs Michael Ryan & Conor Byron who both showed a great running threat upfield. With 5 mins left Jason Connolly made a great save and straight from the kick- out found Ryan Noone who stole yards on his opponent for every 50/50 ball all day, beat the defence but the keeper saved well. 2mins later though and Ryan Noone took the wind out of Mervue’s sails when he slotted into the far corner after Michael Flattery did well to win the ball back. In the last play of the game Ryan Noone had a great run down the far side of the field, crossed into Mark Donnellan who was lurking in the box but Mervues defender who was just a step ahead of him felt him breathing down his neck and whacked the ball into his own net to finish emphatic 4-1 winners on a good weekend out for all our teams. It was an unbelievable performance and a thoroughly deserved outcome for our boys who performed at the highest level for the game. Credit to the players and management.

Thanks to Brian Griffin who, not only had the pitch looking well but the clubhouse looked marvellous too.

Currently, we have no fixtures next weekend.