Unlucky Youth team lose out to Kinvara

Another budding journalist in our midst; this time co-manager Conor Jackson reports on the Youth team’s game vs Kinvara played yesterday morning in Kinvara. Keep up the good work.

On a lovely fresh morning Colemanstown youths travelled to Kinvara with great hopes of maintaining their unbeaten run. Both teams started the game quite tentatively with no real openings in the first 15 mins. It was a case of the two teams trying to suss each other out. On the 20th minute Colemanstown took the lead when the ball was turned over in defence and moved forward quickly. Geordan Kenny released James Barclay down the left hand side and with no real options he took a stunning shot with the outside of his right foot from the edge of the box which took the keeper by surprise and nestled in the corner of the net. It was super improvisation from James as there were 2 defenders on him.

It turned into a real dog fight after this and Kinvara thought they had equalised with a super 25 yard drive but Daniel Glynn was up to the challenge and palmed away the strike brilliantly. After 30 mins Kinvara responded. They used their physicality in the middle of the park to turn over the ball and release their winger down the right who in turn crossed the ball which wasn’t cleared properly and the Kinvara number 9 was allowed to finish with aplomb. Colemanstown needed a response but Kinvara’s tails were up at this stage. They took the lead with 5 mins left in the 1st half. Colemanstown attacked a corner where Kinvara cleared their line. A long ball played up the field then allowed their player to run past our two covering defenders and finish clinically. It was probably a deserved scoreline at half time to Kinvara.

In the second half Colemanstown re-arranged a few positions and it gave a chance for Alan Naughton to make his 1st appearance of the season. The boys in green started a lot better and with challenges from James Barclay and Harry Greaney it really set the tone for the second half that showed Colemanstown were up for the battle. Colemanstown created a great opportunity when James Barclay was put through by Alan Naughton but his effort smashed off the post and away to safety. Another opportunity arose then when neat play by Geordan Kenny put Naughton again through on goal; he didn’t trust the right peg so laid it off to Barclay who in turn set up Mika Harun but his effort was clutched gratefully by the Kinvara keeper. Colemanstown were well on top in the second half as Harry Greaney was like a young Makelele in his role snuffing out Kinvara attacks and covered every blade of grass.

Kinvara had a chance when the ball was played over the top and Daniel Glynn raced off his line to get the 1st block in and as the ball broke for the striker again, it took a super recovery tackle from Conor Hibbitt to save the day. Kinvara then hit with a real sucker punch. Colemanstown had two chances to clear a cross from the right and maybe tired legs caused a lapse in concentration but the ball fell to the Kinvara striker who made it 3-1. It was a bit of a blow to the lads as they were working so hard to get back into the game but credit to them they stuck at it and didn’t let their heads down. Colemanstown pushed the green giant Shaun Keane up top with the hope of rescuing something from the game. With two minutes to go Colemanstown had camped in the Kinvara box and Geordan Kenny dribbled past three lads before the 4th lad took him down. Alan Naughton tucked away the resultant penalty to give a glimmer of hope. Unfortunately it was a little too late and finished 3-2 to Kinvara.

Special mention to Conal Docherty who played the full 90 mins of soccer at right back and had to go to Mountbellew’s U20 final then. On a day where small errors were punished the lads fought hard especially the back line who had to deal with a strong physical Kinvara side. These boys have a big game against Moyne Villa scheduled for Dec 5th and I’m sure the lads will want to respond urgently.

Player of the Match – Harry Greaney. Unbelievable stuff from Harry especially in the second half as he really showed great heart and fighting spirit.

Squad: Daniel Glynn, Conal Doherty, Shaun Keane, Conor Hibbitt, Jason Keane, Robert Cosgrove, Mika Harun, Harry Greaney, Geordan Kenny, Shane Burke, James Barclay. Subs used: Alan Naughton, Michael Mulligan.