U18 & U12 Boys Weekend Football

Colemanstown U18’s 6 – 4 Claremorris Conn Cup 

Our U18’s were welcomed to Claremorris bright and early on Saturday morning for an eagerly awaited Connacht Cup, 1st round.  The game was a high scoring affair with the Colemanstown boys coming on top 6-4 winners in the winter sunshine.

Colemanstown took the game to the hosts from the off with Ciaran Keating’s header from Jason Rabbitte’s cross not too far off target. However it was the hosts who drew first blood following a complete shambles at the back and as Luke Wilbur advanced off his line, the Claremorris striker passed to a completely unmarked player in the edge of the box, who with the simplest of finishes, tapped into an empty net on 8mins. Colemanstown weren’t long restoring parity though in a nicely worked move from the back involving Jack Dillon, Ross Lally, Dean Connaire, Cian Ruane, Jonah Donnellan and finished fantastically from an acute angle by Harry Mitchell who latched onto a through ball fed through the centre. 2mins later, the hosts edged themselves in front in a similar goal to their first. Another mix up in defence saw the Claremorris side capitalise on the hesitancy and once again, they tapped into an empty net. By the 18th minute, it was looking like a goal fest as a speculative effort from Jason Rabbitte squeezed into the post for a tonic goal to make it 2-2.  5mins later Colemanstown went ahead for the 1st time courtesy of Jack Dillon. A fantastic through ball found Harry Mitchell in space on the right, and with some work to do, he cut in across the box before squaring off to DIllon who made no mistake with a perfectly executed finish. Colemanstown were well on top at this stage, as they created many wonderful chances. Jason Rabbitte took a shot which was parried by the keeper only as far as Ciaran Keating who crossed into the box where the outstretched right boot of Harry Michell met the ball but it thundered off the post. Colemanstown made it 4-2 before the break as a Mitchell cross found Tommy Mellody who poked home from close range. Then Rabbitte set up Mitchell nicely but he was unable to add to his goal tally when he got on the end of a through ball but hit the butt of the post to leave Colemanstown well on top at half time, 4-2, having particularly dominated the last 20mins of the half. 

One might have thought that this game was well and truly over from the outset of the 2nd half as the visitors completely dominated proceedings but Claremorris, to their credit, battled their way back into the game. They had an effort which stripped the paint off Fionn Flattery’s crossbar, the 2nd half keeper who didn’t know where to look, the ball was hit with such power & force. Soon after they broke again and made no mistake this time as they finished well with Fionn Flattery off his line. To Colemanstown’s credit, they upped their game. Tommy Mellody in the middle of the park picked out Jonah Donnellan on the right wing and his lovely floated cross found Jason Rabbitte who lobbed the keeper from 12 yards to make it 5-3. At this stage Aaron Comar & Kyle Madden were introduced to the fray & immediately got stuck in. Cian Ruane wasn’t too far off the marker from a header, Harry Mitchell had a half chance, Jack Dillon had a good effort & Jason Rabbitte’s shot came off the inside of the post while up the other end, Fionn Flattery had to be vigilant to a Claremorris free kick which evaded the Colemanstown wall. With 30mins into the 2nd half, Tommy Mellody’s perfect delivery from a corner was met by the towering Rabbitte who nodded home his 3rd of the morning. Jack Dillon saw his effort go the wrong side of the right post after super running from Kyle Madden down the left wing. Aaron Comer watched on as his thunderous drive whacked off the crossbar, almost dislodging it from the posts such was the power behind the shot. Claremorris managed to claw another goal back through a header as the game entered the final stretch. Colemanstown finished worthy winners though on a scoreline: Claremorris 4 – 6 Colemanstown 

Squad: Luke Wilbur, Cian Ruane, Dean Connaire, Ross Lally, Ciaran Keating, Jonah Donnellan, Jason Rabbitte, Jack Jordan, Tommy Mellody, Harry Mitchell, Jack Dillon, Fionn Flattery, Kyle Madden, Aaron Comar. 

Colemanstown U12 Boys 4 – 7 Craughwell  Div2. 

It was a hard day at the office as Colemanstown U12 Boys travelled to face Craughwell on a sunny Saturday October morning. CUFC U12s Boys, lead by this weeks Captain Adam Mitchell, embarked on their fourth league match following last weeks win in Loughrea. Craughwell started strong hitting the back of the net in the first few minutes with a clinical strike. Colemanstown steadied themselves, fought hard and chased the ball in midfield with Oran Cosgrove, Thomas Kennedy and Tommy Gooney stringing passes and releasing Keelan Murray who found the equaliser. Match tied at one all. Play continued when Sean Forde pulled up with an injury and Colemanstown made an early change in the back line of Marc Scarry, Caelan Noone, and Adam Mitchell with Tim Ruane stepping into central defence. The defensive line was under pressure and Craughwell got through for a second. Both teams were playing a tight game, with some breaks from Colemastown’s Adam Mitchell down the wing, through balls into Thomas Kennedy up front, Oran Cosgrove chasing long balls kept the game in flow. Conor Saunders set himself up for a goalkeepers kickout, a long ball through to Keelan Murray, quickly onto Thomas Kennedy and the ball through to the back of Craughwell’s net. The game level once more. 2-2 half time.

Colemanstown made some changes with Daniel O’Dea coming in for Marc Scarry, George Costello into central defence and Iarlaith Griffin into right mid for Tommy Gooney. Both teams battled hard in an action packed second half. Craughwell took the lead, Keelan Murray equalised as the play went from end to end. Both keepers were under constant pressure. Keelan Murray, nearly put Colemastown into the lead, his back on goal, received a high ball and took a bicycle kick, just narrowly travelling wide. With both teams tiring and changes being made, James Kilkenny was introduced for Oran Cosgrove and Oisin Flannery in for Thomas Kennedy. Craughwell took the lead again, however closely followed by a James Kilkenny break down the wing, into Iarlaith Griffin and onto Keelan Murray for his hat trick. The game level at 4- all and end to end. Tight battles in defence, Caelan Noone standing strong with delivered clearances, saves on the line by Conor Saunders but eventually Craughwell found the net. It’s 5-4 to Craughwell. The Craughwell pressure ensued with lots of ball in the Colemanstown half. A few breaks from Iarlaith Griffin and Oisin Flannery were stoutly defended by Craughwell, but eventually with persistent pressure Craughwell found the net twice before the end in an action packed, tough day at the office. Final Score Colemanstown 4 – 7 Craughwell.  Match report by Brian Saunders 

Squad: Adam Mitchell (cap), Oran Cosgrove, Iarlaith Griffin, Sean Forde, Caelan Noone, Daniel O’Dea, Keelan Murray, Tommy Gooney, Thomas Kennedy, Conor Saunders, Marc Scarry, Tim Ruane, George Costello, James Kilkenny, Oisin Flannery.