U17’s encounter with Knocknacarra; U13’s National Trophy vs Merlin Woods

Colemanstown U17’s 0 – 2 Knocknacarra Colemanstown travelled to Cappagh Park this morning for an early 10am KO with Knocknacarra. Both teams were unbeaten in the league to date and tried to wear each other down early on. Chances were at a premium and the first real chance didn’t materialise until the 21st minute after a good passing move and a long Knocknacarra ball over the top for their striker to run on to but Cian Ruane defended well to concede a corner as Knocknacarra threatened on the Colemanstown goal. Colemanstown’s first chance fell on 24mins after good donkey work from Tommy Mellody on the right wing, sprayed across to Harry Mitchell but there was insufficient power in his left footed effort. As both teams got into their mojo, immediately Knocknacarra broke down the field and a piledriver from Knocknacarra was tipped out for a corner by Luke Wilbur. The hosts squandered a free kick on 37mins while 4mins later Harry Mitchell latched on to a long ball over the top from Jonah Donnellan but the keeper went down well at the butt of the post to make the save. Then Luke Williams cut through the middle, found Tommy Mellody on the right wing and as he drove towards goal, his effort went agonisingly across the face of goal as Colemanstown tried desperately to break the deadlock before the break.   Half time 0-0.

Colemanstown had the first chance on the resumption through Jason Rabbitte, 8mins after the restart but fired wide. David Walsh & Harry Mitchell combined well before the latters through ball found Ciaran Keating but there was a little too much pace on the ball and the advancing keeper beat Keating to it to quell the attack. Down the other end, Wilbur was called into action with a parried save with the low lying blinding winter sun directly in his eyes.

Midway through the second half, Kyle Madden was introduced to midfield. On the 25th min mark, Knocknacarra found the opener when a badly placed free at the back found a Knocknacarra player who beat the defence to slam home from close range. 2mins later Colemanstown had the ball in the net for what appeared to be a legitimate goal although the ref didn’t agree. David Walsh floated in a free earned by Jason Rabbitte, Rabbitte himself got a good head on it, only to see his headed effort saved by the keeper & Jonah Donnellan smacked home the rebound. The joy was short lived though as the ref wasn’t long signalling a free out much to the dismay of the Colemanstown bunch and travelling supporters. Wilbur had to go down well to make another super save as Jack Dillon was introduced to the fray. Things got better for Knocknacarra with 7mins left after some hesitant defending, they squeezed the ball under Wilbur’s body to make it 2-0 as the game quickly turned completely in their favour and no way back for the Colemanstown boys at such a late stage in the game. 2-0 it finished to Knocknacarra as Colemanstown were not at all overwhelmed taking on the might of the biggest underage club in Connacht. They put in a credible valiant display with little between the sides.

Squad: Luke Wilbur, Ciaran Keating, Jonah Donnellan, Cian Ruane, Dean Connaire, Jason Rabbitte, Luke Williams, Jack Jordan, Tommy Mellody, Harry Mitchell, David Walsh, Kyle Madden, Jack Dillon, Fionn Flattery.

Colemanstown U13s 2 – 4 Merlin Woods Meanwhile, the old cliche a 2-0 lead is the worst possible lead came to the fore yesterday morning as our U13s were 2-0 up on Merlin Woods with 8 mins to go in the U13 National Trophy played in Colemanstown. Keelyn Kirby supplied the first half goal & a 2nd half cracker from Thomas Screene and Colemanstown thought the job was done; however Merlin Woods somehow found 2 goals to bring the game to extra time. Merlin Woods pressed on with 2 more in extra time to progress to the next round of the National Trophy in emphatic style and much to the disbelief of the Colemanstown youngsters.