U17/18’s back to their best

Our youth team (u17/18) had more trouble finding jerseys to wear than finding the Mervue net on Sunday as they netted 5 after a year’s sojourn, not having fielded a team at u17 level last season. This win was masterminded by the ever reliable Bobby Masterson who is also battling with a serious back injury, teamed up closely with Cian O’Toole.  Their team played like they knew exactly what was expected of them once they put on that green (or white) jersey. They played like a team possessed piecing together some high speed moves through the middle and on the wings romping to one of the biggest wins in Galway FA football last weekend. They got off to a splendid start as newcomer Sean McGee won a free after 30 seconds and up stepped Lee Murphy and with great power and spin hit the top corner from 35 yards to give all home supporters a gentle reminder of his class. So the mood was set as they sustained this pressure for the next 5mins with 4 consecutive corners supplied by Daniel Masterson & Ronan Carr as chances were created for Paul Lally & Dylan Kelly. Strike 2 came via Brian Sweeney who slotted the ball neatly under the keepers legs after a lovely flick from Daniel Masterson. Sweeney again made it 3-0 on the half hour mark when he was on the receiving end of a deft Paul Lally cross. Further chances fell to Ronan O’Neill, Paul Lally, Sean McGee & Daniel Masterson before the break but it remained 3-0 at the interval. The 2nd half restarted with the same speed, vigour and urgency with midfielders Lee Murphy & Ronan O’Neill always looking out wide for Daniel Masterson & Paul Lally while wing backs Ronan Carr & Brian Monaghan also came deep in to play. Debutant Sean McGee made it 4-0 when he received a great pass from Ronan O’Neill 5 mins of the restart. The lads took a breather for the next 20mins as the best passage of play came with 20mins remaining in a cross field move involving Dylan Kelly, Ronan Carr & Daniel Masterson. Ronan Carr’s shot from the 18yard box was fumbled by the keeper but Carr himself won the ball back, turned to shoot only to be fouled in the box. Up stepped Ronan Carr himself who calmly slotted the resultant penalty. Well done to the back four, Dylan Kelly, Gerard Warde, Ronan Carr & Brian Monaghan and to keeper Keith Connell on maintaining a clean sheet. Fresh legs were introduced in the form of Kieran Dowd, Lorcan Molloy, Jack Layton, & Conor O’Neill who played their part. The youth team play Corrib Rangers next Sunday at home, 2pm KO. Thanks to Bobby for providing detailed notes for this match report. Keep them coming.

Please note that the u13 game vs Moyne Villa scheduled for tomorrow evening in Colemanstown is reversed to Headford on Thursday evening. KO 7pm.

Our A team also had a 3-1 win over Loughrea and one has to credit the Pearses hurlers who also played this game despite having played against St. Thomas’ on Saturday evening and gaelic football vs Miltown in Junior semi final earlier on Sunday morning. They had earned some sort of a rub down by 5pm yesterday evening. Tom Flan scored twice and Kerrill Hardy in a game which Colemanstown predominately controlled.