U17 Boys & Girls Sunday action

Colemanstown U17s 1 – 0 St. Bernards
Jason Finn got his charges off to a winning start as Jason Rabbitte’s 2nd half winner overcame a stubborn St. Bernard’s U17 outfit 1-0 in Kiltulla astro yesterday afternoon. It was looking like a frustrating first outing as neighbours St. Bernards weathered an early onslaught putting in a dogged defensive display on the fast astro turf surface. Thanks to Kiltulla Pioneers for the use of their pitch as our grounds were unplayable due to the heavy incessant rain. Early chances fell to Jack Jordan (header) Harry Mitchell & Jason Rabbitte (header) but were unable to find the target. Harry had another effort on 21 mins when his first effort took a deflection and he fired the rebound wide. Colemanstown’s best effort of the first half arrived on 24mins following Dean Connaire’s throw ball to Jack Jordan and his through ball found Harry in space and he almost stripped the paint off the far post as his effort sailed right across the face of the goal. Ciaran Keating & Eanna Burke did a lot of the hard work as space opened up for centre back Cian Ruane to take a shot but he too failed to hit the target. Just before the break Luke Williams found Tommy Mellody who swung in a beauty but Jack Jordan failed to fully connect and the ball went harmlessly wide as St. Bernard’s resistance held firm. 0-0 at the break.

The second half saw Luke Wilbur make his debut as he took up the keepers position instead of Fionn Flattery and David Walsh entered the fray at left back. Ciaran Keating had an early 2nd half effort but spurned his opportunity as his low hard drill went wide. Eanna Burke drew a good diving save as the keeper could only parry his effort but there was no one on hand to tap home the loose ball. St. Bernard’s resistance was broken 7 mins after the restart when Luke Williams’ curling cross into the danger area was met by the favoured left boot of Jayo Rabbitte who took his chance well. It looked like the floodgates would open, if one at all went in as Colemanstown maintained the onslaught. A lovely shimmy in the box from Eanna Burke following good play from Jason Rabbitte & Harry Mitchell but Bernard’s custodian went down well on Burkes fancy back heel. Jack Dillon watched as his piledriver flew wide and Tommy Mellody & Harry Mitchell fired over midway through the 2nd half. A rare Bernards attack saw our defence beat as Wilbur showed quick reaction to advance off his line & steal the ball as their striker had beat the offside trap. One moments lapse of concentration with 30mins played in the 2nd half saw centre back Cian Ruane beat for the first time in the game and with Ruane floored through cramp having played the A1 Minor hurling semi – final earlier in the morning, play continued and with their striker one-on-one with the keeper Luke Wilbur advanced & stretched himself well to make a fine stop. As play resumed and Wilbur stranded outside his box, the ball was whipped off the goal line by Jason Rabbitte with Harry Mitchell making certain of the clearance, as he booted the ball almost into the Kiltulla changing rooms. At this stage Cian Ruane & Eanna Burke made way for Jonathan Keane & Kyle Madden. With 5mins to play Harry Mitchell’s free kick was fired straight at the keeper while Jack Dillon had the final Colemanstown effort but fired wide after Harry & Kyle Madden linked up well.

In the end, the game concluded and was settled by a single goal which was enough to see Colemanstown advance to Round 2 of the National U17 Cup.

Squad: Fionn Flattery, Ciaran Keating, Cian Ruane, Luke Williams, Dean Connaire, Eanna Burke, Jonah Donnellan, Jason Rabbitte, Tommy Mellody, Harry Mitchell, Jack Jordan, Luke Wilbur, David Walsh, Johnny Keane, Jack Dillon, Kyle Madden.

Our U17 Girls lost 3-1 away to Craughwell on a day for the ducks early yesterday morning. Our sole goal came from the boot of Libby Kennedy from the penalty spot who was fresh from the U15B Boys fine win the previous day.