U17 Boys first league outing secures win; U16 Boys bow out of National Trophy

Salthill Devon 1 – 4 Colemanstown U17s Premier
Our U17’s travelled to Drom mid-week to take on Salthill Devon in their first league game of the season on a mild November evening. Colemanstown failed to create anything decent in the first 17mins until Ciaran Mulhern connected well to Ciaran Keating’s cross from the right but his low hard drill from 25yards saw the keeper go down well. Immediately though Salthill responded when some hesitant defending only saw the ball cleared as far as the D and Salthill smacked home the opener amongst a crowded box. At this stage the game was tit for tat. Following the kick off Salthill went on the attack and Luke Wilbur had to make a good diving save to keep Colemanstown from going further behind. Jason Rabbitte & Ciaran Mulhern combined for the latter’s effort to sail across the face of the goal. Salthill had an effort from a free which Wilbur may have got a hand to, to deflect it off the post with Cian Ruane making sure of the clearance.

Colemanstown’s unrelenting pressure conjured an extraordinary response as they pulled off 3 great goals in a 4 min spell. On 27mins, good combined play involving Rabbitte, Mulhern & Jonah Donnellan who skipped into the box and Harry Mitchell stole from his toe to finish well from the edge of the box. At this stage Colemanstown were on the ascendancy and another good passage of play involving Ciaran Keating, Ciaran Mulhern & Harry Mitchell who fired out to Tommy Mellody on the wing and his floated cross was met by the unmarked Jason Rabbitte who thumped his header into the bottom right corner on 29mins. A minute later Mulhern made it 3-1 as he won the ball in midfield and in a great individual effort beating God knows how many defenders to finish with a great quality goal finished in style. Just before half time, another sublime delivery from the right from Keating was floated into the box and if Harry was an inch or two higher his header would have flicked to the net. Astonishingly, by half time, Colemanstown were in front after conceding an early goal.

As it took a while for Salthill to re-enter the pitch after their half time pep talk, Joe Rabbitte was beginning to worry about his unfed herd of cattle as the Colemanstown supporters were urging the game to restart. When it did, Colemanstown started with a rejigged team as David Walsh entered the fray at left back, Jack Jordan on the left wing & Fionn Flattery in goals. The first 13mins after the restart Colemanstown lived dangerously as Salthill won a few consecutive corners thanks to the relentless defending from the never tiring Luke Williams and Cian Ruane. The hosts had the ball in the net at one stage but their finisher was adjudged to be off side. Then a Rabbitte clearance at the back found Mulhern in space who again cut in across the box but the keeper advanced well off his line to save with his feet. A similar effort moments later saw Harry involved in the play and Muller’s strike from the same spot produced a similar advancing save this time with the keepers hands. Another good passage of play saw Harry Mitchell fouled on the edge of the D and his strike sailed nicely over the keepers head to claim his brace. Soon after Cian Ruane got a head to a Keating corner but the keeper saved well. With about 15mins to play Jack Dillon & Johnny Keane were introduced as both got on plenty of ball but at this stage Devon could not find a way back.

Squad: Luke Wilbur, Ciaran Keating, Luke Williams, Cian Ruane, Dean Connaire, Tommy Mellody, Jonah Donnellan, Ciaran Mulhern, Jason Rabbitte, Harry Mellody, Eanna Burke, David Walsh, Jack Jordan, Fionn Flatery, Jack Dillon, Johnny Keane, Kyle Madden.

Colemanstown 1 – 4 Killoe Celtic National Trophy
After the long spin to Killoe, Longford yesterday, Colemanstown U16s found themselves 2-0 behind inside 8 mins. Colemanstown started slowly and failed to properly get into the game. The hosts opener arrived on 5mins when a super strike from distance floated in over Fionn’s head and into the top corner. 3mins later some fierce jittery Colemanstown defending in the box saw the home side tap in from close range as Colemanstown found themselves on the back foot. As Killoe’s dominance mounted, Fionn Flattery pulled off a string of super saves with both his feet & his paws and showed great composure to make a fine stop from a one-on-one effort. It took until the second quarter for Colemanstown to fight their way into the game. Good work from Tiarnan Lohan on the left wing saw him float a wonderful delivery into the box; Cathal Kennedy did well to hold up the ball before spraying across to Kyle Madden who tapped in from close range to make it 2-1 to the hosts. Just before the break, Shane Duffy ‘s long range effort clipped the post while Diarmuid Ryan & Cathal Kennedy perfectly positioned on the back post failed to get a head on David Walsh’s nicely whipped in corner. Colemanstown 1 – 2 Killoe Half Time.

Colemanstown restarted brightly and dominated for the third quarter, aided by Ross Lally’s move to left wing. Immediately Ross’s presence came to the fore with a wonderful effort just over the crossbar. Colemanstown worked hard to win a few corners which they failed to capitalise on. David Geraghty on his debut up front for the 2nd half, had the keeper beat but a defender slid in out of nowhere to whip off the goal line. Shane Duffy had an effort which whacked off the post originated from a David Walsh corner. As Colemanstown worked hard to find an equaliser , Killoe broke from midfield with 5mins to play & their striker finished past Fionn in a one-on-one effort. In the last kick of the game, Killoe added a 4th to ensure no way back for the Colemanstown lads as they now bow out of the National Trophy competition

Squad: Fionn Flattery, Josh Buckley, Diarmuid Ryan, David Walsh, Ross Lally, Shane Duffy, Jonah Donnellan, Conor Noone, Tiarnan Lohan, Cathal Kennedy, Kyle Madden, David Geraghty, Donnacha Walsh, Joshua McDonnell, Jamie Nutley, Sean Connolly, Sean Cooke, Tomas Rogerson.