U16s & U12 latest league match reports

Colemanstown U16s 5 – 2 Barna/ Furbo
Colemanstown came from 1-0 down early on to win 5-2 against Barna/ Furbo yesterday morning at home and edge closer to a showdown with neighbours Athenry – the winner of which will surely be crowned league winners. In the way though in between is the matter of Oughterard this Thursday evening in the penultimate league game. Missing a few regulars for this latest encounter, David Walsh was called up to help beef up the bench.

Similar to 2 weeks ago when the sides last met, Colemanstown were the dominant team but were just not clinical enough in front of goal on that occasion and suffered a 1-0 defeat with a penalty converted late in the game for Barna / Furbo to strip us of 3 important points. This time round, and although Colemanstown were the more dangerous looking side, it was the visitors who scored in their first attack of the game within the first minute. Hesitant defending allowed the hosts a shot at goal from outside the box and although Fionn Flattery got his hand to it, it scrambled over the line.

This was the kick start Colemanstown required as they got into gear after that. Ciaran Mulhern had a half chance on 10mins, but bulleted it over under pressure, surrounded by 3 orange shirts. Mulhern then sent a peach of a pass through for Luke Williams to run on to & with his woeful pace, he beat the offside trap, but the keeper saved well with his feet. Then Eanna Burke who put in a whopping display at right midfield, split the defence with an inch perfect pass for Harry Mitchell on 13mins and it looked like it had gone in after the keeper fumbled but he redeemed himself well to grasp with both hands on the 2nd attempt.

Parity was restored on 17mins when Jason Rabbitte rose highest to Jack Jordan’s corner to nod home to a happy applause.

Moments later Mulhern had another effort which whacked off the crossbar after he skipped by a number of players to get himself into a shooting position; the rebound fell to Jayo who struck straight at the keeper. Luke Williams then teed up with Harry Mitchell but be fired his left footed effort the wrong side of the post.

On 26mins Jason Rabbitte & Harry Mitchell linked up nicely but as Harry saw his effort saved, the rebound fell to Jayo but with very little room to turn to make space for himself, his rushed effort was drilled straight at the keeper. Barna Furbo had a chance on 33mins when the Colemanstown defence stood back, were slow to clear but thankfully their striker wasn’t too lethal in front of goal. On 39mins, super work from the hard working Eanna Burke won a corner although there were some Colemanstown pleas for a handball. Just before the break, good work from Harry & Mulhern saw Luke Williams run through on goal, only to be taken down in the box and Mitchell dispatched the resultant penalty well. Deep into additional time, Barna/ Furbo levelled matters. A clearance from Jonah Donnellan took a deflection and in over the head of the back pedalling Fionn Flattery. 2-2 at Halftime.

David Walsh was introduced at the restart of the 2nd period & immediately he got stuck in as Colemanstown demonstrated their intent. His effort from the left wing was turned round the post by the keeper; David himself whipped in the corner & Harry wasn’t too far away on the back post. Mulhern then saw his header nodded straight at the keeper from a Walsh corner. A splendid through ball from Jason Rabbitte into the inrushing Harry Mitchell who found himself one-on-one with the advancing keeper who made a super (but sore!) stop with his face and had to receive some treatment & TLC in the process. Goal 3 arrived from a set piece. Mulhern was fouled underneath the stand; David floated in the free kick; Mulhern’s header added to the flight of the ball & Jason Rabbitte put Colemanstown 3-2 up from close range 10mins after the restart. Immediately from tip off Fionn was called into action to make a good diving save. Mulhern then sprayed  the ball out the right wing to Jack Jordan who cut in across the box but fired well over.  Jason Rabbitte & Eanna Burke linked up well for Mulhern whose powerful effort was curled around the post for a super save. Subsequently David Walsh’s left footed drive curled wide & Harry forced a one handed save midway through the half as Colemanstown dominated most of the possession at this stage.

Buoyed up by the introduction of Johnny Keane & Larry Murrajvos, Colemanstown continued to press. Harry made certain soon after. A ball up the line from Cian Ruane to Rabbitte fed Harry who still had a lot of work to do, cut in across the box, maintained his composure and delivered across the goalmouth into the far corner. Our 5th came with 12mins to play when David Walsh’s free kick from under the stand deceived everyone and bounced nicely for Jack Jordan who had enough time to count the stitches on the football as he stole in at the back post to finish with his left boot. Luke Williams had another effort late in the game after a quickly taken corner from Harry to Jason but the keeper had to stretch well to prevent any further damage.

5-2 it finished and this victory moves Colemanstown to the top of the table for now at least as Athenry have a game in hand. This latest win was ground out equally on grit & on quality. Next up is Oughterard for a home show on Thursday evening.

The club sympathise with Ciaran Keating on the death of his grandad Paddy Keating, Waterloo, Menlough.

Squad: Fionn Flattery, Dara Scarry, Jonah Donnellan, Cian Ruane, Dean Connaire, Eanna Burke, Luke Williams, Ciaran Mulhern, Jack Jordan, Harry Mitchell, Jason Rabbitte, David Walsh, Jonathan Keane, Larry Murrajvos.

Colemanstown U12s 1- 1 Merlin Woods
The boys knew on Saturday morning that they were travelling in to Galway City to a tightly contested game and that’s exactly the way it played out. With the majority of the contest happening between the 2 boxes, it meant who ever won the midfield battles was going to win this game. John Parker was rarely called into action in the opening exchanges and Adam Devaney,  Robbie Lydon and Riain Donohue kept things simple at the back as they pushed Merlin Woods up the field.

Darren Quirke completely dominated the middle of the field with Dermot Parker and Daniel Booth tirelessly patrolling the wings. It was however a fortuitous Merlin Woods kick out that ended up rebounding off Joshua Lualdi and found the back of the net. 5 minutes later Merlin equalised with fortunate rebound of their own which John Parker couldn’t smother and the ball fell kindly to the Merlin Woods striker to tap home. 1-1 at the break.

5 minutes into the 2nd half Cathal Maybin came in to the attack to freshen up our effort and straight away chances were coming to Thomas Screene, Darren Quirke and Dermot Parker but on each occasion the crossbar, post and keeper were denying the Colemanstown boys from taking the lead. In the last 5 minutes it looked like Colemanstown were going to take all 3 points only for the brilliance of the Merlin Woods central defender as he read a quality ball from Darren Quirke in midfield that found the foot of Thomas Screene. Just as Thomas was about to unleash a shot to the net, the Merlin defender came out of nowhere to block with impeccable timing. The drama wasn’t over yet and in the dying stages Adam Devaney took a gamble to run to the far post from his left back position to find the ball at his feet and unfortunately the ball screamed past the wrong side of the post. Adam was clearly disappointed with his effort but credit must go to Adam for making the decision to make the strong run to get to the far post in the dying stages.

1-1 was the final score in Doughuisce on Saturday morning.  Match report by Robbie Parker