U16’s last minute winner & Ladies lose to St. Cuans in RDFL

Colemanstown U16s 3 – 2 McDara
Our U16 boys clocked their 2nd league win of the season over Carraroe side McDara on Sunday after they relinquished a 2-0 half time lead to claim the win with a late Jonah Donnellan goal. Colemanstown piled on the pressure on the visitors from the outset with Diarmuid Ryan wide with a header and David Walsh close with a free kick. Tomas Rogerson had a chance on 18mins after he latched on to a through ball from David Walsh but the Carraroe custodian was quick to read the plan. Kyle Madden & Dylan Murphy both saw their efforts saved after huge work down the line by Shane Duffy who put in a huge shift for the 80mins. Good work from Jonah Donnellan, Shane Duffy & Ross Lally culminated in an effort from Diarmuid Ryan which the keeper was equal to.
The opener arrived on 27mins after a through ball from Donnellan found Duffy in space & as he ran through with the goal at his mercy, he was floored and the ref immediately pointed to the spot. Jonah Donnellan dispatched the penalty well to make it 1-0. Ross Lally had to retire due to injury 5 mins before the break which saw the introduction of Matthew Keane at centre mid. Colemanstown made it 2-0 on 37mins after an inch perfect delivery from Kyle Madden saw Dylan Murphy control the ball just above his knee and hit a powerful volley superbly to score a cracker from just outside the box to cap off a dominant first half Colemanstown performance where they displayed a fusion of hard work and creativity. 2-0 at half time.
The second half was only minutes old when Shane Duffy drove a move down the right wing, ran half the length of the field before teeing across to Kyle Madden whose effort took a deflection off a defender. That was as good as it got for Colemanstown as the visitors took charge after that. Colemanstown received a let off soon afterwards when McDara’s piledriver thundered off the post and Sean Cooke was alert to the ensuing play as he had to stretch well to keep his goal intact. Soon afterwards McDara hit the woodwork again as the visitors looked threatening. Midway through the half McDara’s threatening play was rewarded when our defence were hesitant and a shot from just inside the box was finished well as Cookie was left stranded. 10 mins later, McDara hit back with the equaliser when more hesitant defending left their striker free and although Sean Cooke got his paw to it, the power of the shot forced it over the line. Jamie Nutley, Joshua McDonnell & Ronan Screene had entered the fray at this stage as fresh legs and in a bid to grind out a winner. In almost the last kick of the game, young Matthew Keane worked hard to win a free which was swung in by David Walsh and Jonah Donnellan stole in at the back post, keeping himself onside, to volley home the winner showing that Houdini was alive and well in scarcely believable fashion. Colemanstown celebrated their late winner as McDara were left heart broken and stunned.
Sean Cooke was steady in goals and in front of him was a solid back line of Donnacha Walsh, Diarmuid Ryan, David Walsh & Sean Connolly. It was a nice last minute win while hopefully the lads can maintain the momentum.
Squad: Sean Cooke, Donnacha Walsh, Diarmuid Ryan, David Walsh, Sean Connolly, Shane Duffy, Jonah Donnellan, Ross Lally, Tomas Rogerson, Dylan Murphy, Kyle Madden, Matthew Keane, Joshua McDonnell, Jamie Nutley, Ronan Screene.
Ladies lose 1-3 to St Cuans
It was a tough day at the office from start to finish for our Ladies team in the RDFL on Sunday with a 3-1 home loss. The Baltic weather conditions certainly didn’t help matters but it can’t all be blamed on the weather! St Cuans, the visitors took the lead in the first 3 mins after a darting run by their No. 9 who finished well to leave Ashley Roberts with no chance. Sinead McManus created plenty of efforts but just couldn’t find the target while Lucy Kenny kept things moving on the right flank. 20 mins later Colemanstown equalised after a brief spell of dominance when Katie Delaney’s strike from 30 yards seemed too hot for the keeper to handle to make it 1-1 at half time.
Colemanstown played against the wind in the second half and struggled to adjust to the conditions as they failed to control the ball and St. Cuans used the strong wind to their advantage with numerous shots. Ashley Roberts did well in goals and our defence had to be on their toes but Cuans made the breakthrough on 70 mins when the ball was blasted at Kate Delaney who had thrown herself into an attempted block and her arm was not in a natural position. The resultant penalty was put away by Cuan’s No. 9 who had a super game. Again, St. Cuans continued to chip away at Colemanstown. With just 5 mins to go a shot from their No. 8 rebounded off the post, and the deflection hit the back of the diving body of Ashley Roberts and in to the net. Shortly after, the ref blew and the ladies were glad to be out of the cold! The ladies I’m sure know that they have to give a good response at Ballaghaderreen next weekend. Final score: Colemanstown 1 – 3 St. Cuans. Match report by Philip Dee
Squad: Ashley Roberts, Jessica Doherty, Shauna Hynes, Katie Delaney, Rori Doherty, Lucy Kenny, Claire Keane, Sammi Chang, Serena Hansberry, Sinead McManus, Sarah Kearney, Chloe Gill, Katie Williams.