U16s bow out of FAI Cup to heavyweights Mervue

The question in the Colemanstown camp before the U16 round 1 National FAI cup game yesterday was: Would the lads be able to pull off a shock win over a ‘big’ team like Mervue Utd who were heavily favoured to win this one. They failed to pull it off though but they did put up a mighty battle at home yesterday afternoon. It was a splendid day for a game – mid October and the sunglasses required…. Both teams were evenly matched in the 1st half with no huge gulf in class evident between the Premier league kingpins & Colemanstown, the recently promoted Championship team. Colemastown’s early exchanges were nicely put together. Cian Ruane’s header from David Walsh’s corner was just over & our strikeforce of David Walsh, Cillian Fahey & Harry Mitchell were caught offside in some long deliveries over the top.

Cian Ruane was perfectly positioned to whip an effort from a Mervue corner off the goalline while in the ensuing kick out Jayo Rabbitte played Harry Mitchell who was just offside. Harry then almost dispossessed the keeper who quickly redeemed himself. On 25mins Cilly Fahey got on the end of a long delivery from Jonah Donnellan but the keeper drowned out his effort. 2mins later Mervue had a good passage of play but the final shot at goal was just over.  David Walsh’s free kick on 35mins was floated into the danger area but Cian Ruane’s header was saved. Just before the break Mervue had another decent passage of play but their effort was thankfully volleyed over the bar.  Scoreless at the break.

Colemanstown created another good move 10mins after the restart when Harry Mitchell worked the ball down the right flank, crossed to Jayo Rabbitte with David Walsh having the final effort which required a good diving save from Mervue’s custodian. 8mins later Rabbitte was fouled, Tommy Mellody took the resultant free which amounted to nothing. Mervue had another smooth move and with our rearguard stretched Mervue bulleted over the crossbar. Soon after the visitors made the breakthrough in a slick move from midfield and a super piledriver from distance beat Fionn Flattery 20mins into the 2nd half.  Immediately up the other end, Colemanstown came close when Tommy Mellody’s free was floated in & centre back Luke Williams at full stretch just couldn’t steer it on target.  3mins later our rearguard conceded a penalty and Fionn’s antics in goal failed to put off the penalty taker who slotted it straight down the middle to make it 2-0. Colemanstown’s heads seemed to drop at this stage as Mervue continued to apply the pressure for the remainder of the game. Some quick passes were required to break Mervue down but they failed to get enough time on the ball. With 6 mins to go, Jonah Donnellan’s header from Harry Mitchell’s corner was easily saved as Donnellan failed to get the power behind the nod. Mervue turned the screw with 2mins remaining when they broke on the counter and beat the advancing Fionn Flattery. 3-0 it finished as Mervue progress to Round 2 although the final score might have just flattered them a little. It was a good learning curve for these Colemanstown underdogs who worked hard against super heavyweights Mervue United. They started this game without much outside hope but with enthusiasm in abundance.

Special mention must go to Luke Williams who was nothing short of superb, covering every inch of the field… near perfect defending, great deliveries from the back, up front for all set pieces and almost pulling off what would have been a super goal.

Squad: Fionn Flattery, Ciarán Keating, Luke Williams, Cian Ruane, Dean Connaire, Tommy Mellody, Jonah Donnellan, Jason Rabbitte, Cillian Fahey, Harry Mellody, David Walsh, Eanna Burke, Jack Jordan, Dara Scarry, Jonathan Keane, Jack Dillon, Larry Murrajvos, Cathal Kennedy, Ross Lally, Diarmuid Ryan.