U16’s advance in Cup in Penalty Shoot-out

Similar to their last outing in the league, Kiltulla & Colemanstown U16’s couldn’t be separated after 80 minutes and a further 20 minutes of extra time in Kiltulla yesterday. In the ensuing shoot-out, stand-in Colemanstown keeper Micháel Ryan proved to be the saviour and Ryan Noone held his nerve to thump home the winner to win  5-4 in the shoot-out and advance to the next round of the League Cup.

The game was only 2mins old when Colemanstown had their first serious sight of goal as Sean Hansberry & Jack Donoghue originated the move which found Michael Flattery whose effort hit the post and as it deflected back into play, it was met by a Colemanstown boot and deflected off the crossbar. On 7mins good work from Conor Byron and Michael Flattery resulted in Niall McDonagh’s effort whizzing over the crossbar. Colemanstown were playing neat, controlled football, totally dominating but unable to find a breakthrough in what was a bit like ‘War of the Buttons’. When the Colemanstown lads threatened again, this time they were rewarded on 16mins as Conor Byron’s throw ball found Flattery who fed Didac and as he squared the ball across the box, it was met by the inrushing Ryan Noone who finished superbly. His run had to be timed to perfection … and it was. 3mins later the Colemanstown lads got a bit more adventurous as a long clearance from Fionn O’Connor in defence was met by Sean Hansberry who fell awkwardly on his shoulder and as the loose ball spilled to Didac he made no mistake in front of goal as Hansberry lay stranded on the ground. 

Kiltulla clawed one back in their first attack on 22mins as the Colemanstown defence failed to clear and as the ball was headed in across the box, it was met by the boot of No. 10 who finished well. Niall Mac then had a speculative effort from a good distance out which he drove over the crossbar. Jack Donoghue had a great chance to restore the two goal cushion but he squirted wide in a one-on-one effort. Just before the break Sean Hansberry had half a chance but he hit the ball as he was falling to the ground which made an easy save for the keeper.

Kiltulla attacked from the start of the 2nd half & it was only 3mins old when a delivery from Kiltulla was met by the head of Sean Hansberry who almost put the ball into his own net only for the exceptional vigilance and a diving save by stand-in keeper Micháel Ryan. 3mins later Killtulla restored parity as they began to claim the upper hand. A ball across the box was met by a Killtulla boot but as Micháel Ryan saved well, he failed to hold onto the ball and the loose ball was thumped to the net to restore parity. 2-2. Fionn O’Connor saw his free kick almost smash the crossbar in two as Colemanstown again began to get a foothold on the game. However, both teams were careful in the last quarter as it was obvious no one wanted to concede and no further clear cut opportunities presented for either side as the game went to extra time.

4mins into the 1st half of extra time Ryan Noone wasn’t too far off with a free kick after he himself was fouled.  Just before half time, Niall Mac displayed some great footwork, skipped by a couple of defenders but his low hard drill whizzed by the post as Colemanstown controlled the 1st period of extra time.  One final push was required in the 2nd period to avoid the lottery of penalties, however, nothing clear cut presented itself for either side as both teams seemed happy enough to sit back and wait for the penalties.

And so to penalties…

Kiltulla were first to take and sent the ball past Micháel Ryan
Jack Donoghue made it 1-1 for Colemanstown although the keeper got his paw to it.
Kiltulla saw their 2nd penalty saved by Micháel as he guessed correctly and stretched well.
Didac put Colemanstown 2-1 up.
The slow walk from the Kiltulla striker didn’t halt him from scoring their third to level the game 2-2.
Niall Mac blasted his effort to put Colemanstown 3-2 in front.
Kiltulla kept the pressure on by scoring their 4th
Sean Hansberry blasted his effort to make it 4-3.
Kiltulla squeezed their 5th past Micháel Ryan putting the pressure on Ryan Noone
Noone stepped up calmly and coolly finished his effort to win 5-4 on penalties and crown off a good afternoon’s entertainment albeit, everyone’s toes were suffering from the cold & frostbite.

Well done lads. Penalties are a cruel way to win or lose a game but blame UEFA or whoever makes these rules.

Squad: Micháel Ryan, Declan O’Brien, Mark Donnellan, Conor Byron, Niall McDonagh, Sean Hansberry, Michael Flattery, Ruyan Noone, Didac, Jack Donoghue, Conor Moran, Conor Booth, Daithi Colleran, Michael Concannon, Josh McGuire-Greaney.