U15s lose out on Cup Double

Colemanstown U15s lost out on winning the league & Cup double on Monday last losing 3-1 to Corrib Celtic in Eamon Deacy Park. The game closed the curtain on Eamon Deacy Park, it’s sod being taken up and reseeded over the coming weeks.

Colemanstown started off well with numerous chances within the first 10 mins. Jonah Donnellan found himself one-on-one with the keeper who saved well & David Walsh’s free kick following a hand ball was well stopped. Tiarnan Lohan then saw his effort saved following a good passage of play when he latched onto a through ball. David squandered another free kick after Josh Buckley was fouled on the edge of the box. After all the pressing it was Corrib Celtic who opened the scoring when a hopeful pop at goal from a good distance was fumbled by Fionn Flattery in the sandy goalmouth and dribbled over the line for a fortuitous goal.

Colemanstown recovered from the shock to equalise on 22mins. Hard work from Kyle Madden won a corner which David floated in; Diarmuid Ryan got a head to it, back out to Jonah Donnellan who finished from close range. Subsequently, great play from Shane Duffy on the wing who teed across to Kyle Madden who fired wide. At this stage, the Colemanstown rearguard of Josh Buckley, Diarmuid Ryan, Ross Lally & David Walsh were well on top, competently cutting off supply to Corrib Celtics strike force. Kyle Madden had another chance when he latched on to a through ball from Michael Fallon but after pulling the ball back to shoot with his right, he failed to get the power behind the strike & the keeper made an easy save. 2mins into stoppage time, Fallon got on the end of a free kick but blasted straight at the keeper to keep the game 1-1 at the break.

4mins on the resumption of the 2nd half, Diarmuid Ryan was well positioned to head off the line. Then Kyle Madden went on a probing run, laid his pass off to the better placed Tiarnan Lohan on the edge of the box but he drove wide. Midway through the half, Corrib Celtic edged ahead following a good passage of attacking play. Some hesitant defending from Colemanstown saw a poor clearance which fell to their striker whose smack at goal deflected off the crossbar and back down over the white sandy goal line. From here on Corrib Celtic were in the ascendancy. Fionn was forced to make a one handed save and the Annaghdown side had the ball in the net shortly afterwards but were adjudged to be offside.

Colemanstown kept plugging away & the keeper had to go down well to keep out Tiarnan Lohan’s effort. Cathal Kennedy displayed some great footwork in the middle of the field as he skipped by two defenders but walloped well over. Corrib Celtic looked dangerous on attack as they got to grips with the game and looked dangerous on attack on 22mins only for a timely interception from Josh Buckley. Tiarnan had another speculative effort which he fired over and then another Corrib Celtic attack seen Diarmuid Ryan beat for the first time in the game, found himself one-on-one with the keeper but was unable to keep his composure and fired wide. A free from Jonah Donnellan was fired well over with 5mins to play.

With 3mins left, there was to be no comeback from Colemanstown this time when Corrib Celtic completed the misery  when a free from the half way line was finished on the edge of the box to seal Corrib Celtics win. Right at the end, Fionn Flattery made a super save to prevent further infliction. 3-1 it finished and for Colemanstown management duo of Joe Finnerty and Gary Broderick and their super squad, it was disappointment not to claim the double but at least the league title is theirs for 2022.

Squad: Fionn Flattery, Josh Buckley, Diarmuid Ryan, Ross Lally, David Walsh, Shane Duffy, Michael Fallon, Jonah Donnellan, Tiarnan Lohan, Kyle Madden, Cathal Kennedy, Dylan Murphy, Donnacha Walsh, Sean Connolly, Jamie Nutley, Ronan Screene.