U15s clock 2nd league win

Colemanstown U15’s beat Maree-Oranmore B in their 3rd league outing at home today. It wasn’t a game that set the world on fire but a win is a win as Colemanstown bagged all 3 points. Colemanstown made the most of the stiff breeze in the opening 35 minutes with two long- range sublime efforts from centre back Cillian Roche. Colemanstown were just about worth the win but were put up to it by a strong resilient Oranmore-Maree outfit. The first real chance fell on 15mins when young Matthew Keane drifted up the right wing, crossed to David Walsh who miscued his effort and shot wide from the edge of the box.  Roche who was a joy to watch, scored the first of his brace on 16mins with a long range effort from the half way line which even the keeper failed to spot, such was the power on the effort. A good surge from the visitors down the left flank saw their striker find the butt of the post and fortunately for Colemanstown, curled out over the end line.

On 32 mins, Cillian Roche found his second with a sublime curling effort from the edge of the D which whistled past the hapless keeper; one even Mo Salah himself would have been proud of. Cathal Kennedy then had an effort at goal which took a deflection on route, and the visitor’s custodian had to stretch well to make the stop. Diarmuid Ryan had lined up for the next long range pop at goal but the keeper was equal to the task just before the break. 2-0 to Colemanstown at the half way stage.

5mins after the restart Ross Lally had a low hard drill at goal but again the keeper kept Maree-Oranmore in the game. Another let-off for Colemanstown on 45mins as a cross swung in from the left towards the back post was misconnected by inches. Another Cathal Kennedy surge down the right flank saw him swing in his effort where it was met by Darren Moran but young Darren hurried his effort which went wide. On 58mins, Davy Walsh won a corner which he swung in himself, Cillian Roche rose highest but headed over – a hat trick would have been nice for his efforts all day.  Paddy Flynn & Davy Walsh both saw their efforts float over the bar in the last 10mins.

With 3mins remaining David Walsh drew yet another great save from the visitor’s keeper as he had to stretch well to keep the ball out. With 2mins to go, Oranmore/Maree scored from a set piece as Colemanstown’s rearguard failed to clear the free kick delivered into the danger area and although Fionn Flattery got a paw to it, it still found the net to set up a nervy last couple of mins including additional time. At this stage, Josh Buckley who had to retire mid-way through the 1st half having receiving studs on the back of his leg, had been re-introduced, Cathal Hynes, Jamie Nutley & Sean Connolly did just what was asked of them to keep the ball in the middle third of the field before the game was brought to a close & Joe Finnerty & Gary Broderick’s young men had clocked their second win of the campaign.

Squad: Fionn Flattery, Josh Buckley, Diarmuid Ryan, Cillian Roche, Sean Connolly, Cathal Kennedy, Jonah Donnellan, Ross Lally, David Walsh, Cathal Hynes, Matthew Keane, Paddy Flynn, Jamie Nutley,  Darren Moran, Ronan Screene, Dylan Murphy.