U15 & U17 Boys Latest League Affairs

Maree / Oranmore 5 – 1 Colemanstown U17s Premier 

Oranmore took an early lead, in fact within the first minute in Sunday evenings latest league encounter under lights away to Oranmore. It was a lead they never relinquished. They added to their tally on 15mins when their striker nodded home an exceptionally well taken free kick as the hosts were well on top.  Colemanstown had mustered up some rare chances as Jonah Donnellan fired over a free kick from 20 yards, Ross Lally fired over following a good passage of Colemanstown play while Aironas Kantauskas hit the butt of the post after a series of Colemanstown corners.  Colemanstown were offered a lifeline when Jonah Donnellan converted a spot kick following a handball when Aironas’ free kick caused some consternation in the goal area.  David Geraghty had a great chance when a through ball from Aironas through the middle found Geraghty who beat the offside trap but got snookered by the Oranmore defender who smuggled the ball off his toe.  Half time: Colemanstown 1 –  2 Oranmore/ Maree 

The second half saw a few positional changes as Josh Buckley was introduced at right back and Kyle Madden moved up front.    Oranmore made it 3-1 on 53mins when their striker latched on to a long clearance to finish well while down the other end Tiarnan Lohan drew a good save at the near post.  Lohan fired across the face of the goal minutes later after a super ball down the line from David Walsh.  Donnacha Walsh, Tomas Rogerson & Jamie Nutley were introduced to add some bite to the game but it was Oranmore who added a 4th on 67mins under the diving body of Fionn Flattery. They added more misery with 3mins to play when they squeezed a 5th just inside the post following a poorly cleared corner. 

Oranmore finished their goal scoring opportunities well as Fionn Flattery made several good saves to prevent a heavier toll. The Colemanstown lads perhaps lacked firing power up front but certainly matched the opposition in terms of skill, fluency and ambition in other areas. 

Squad: Fionn Flattery, Kyle Madden, Diarmuid Ryan, Tiarnan Lohan, Ross Lally, Shane Duffy, Aironas Kantauskas, Jonah Donnellan, David Walsh, David Geraghty, Conor van Oosterhout, Josh Buckley, Tomas Rogerson, Dylan Murphy, Jamie Nutley, Joshua McDonnell, Sean Connolly. 

Colemanstown U15s 2 – 2 Maree/ Oranmore Div 2 

Colemanstown United U15 Boys were out in Oranmore on Saturday afternoon. While the boys were missing a few players, there was no excuses as they travelled with a very strong squad feeling they could take all 3 points for their 1st away win of the season. 

Playing against an awkward diagonal gale in the first half, it was a 35 minute period where playing the ball on the ground was a sensible option. While the boys started the game the better, it was Maree/Oranmore that got the opener after 12 minutes against the run of play. While there was nothing our back 4 of Morgan Keogh (C), Michael Lally, Tadgh Bardell or Fionn Prolux could do about it, the situation did not sit well with the boys and within minutes they were pressing hard to make amends. Soon, their efforts paid off with the wizardry of Fionn Proulx getting our first and before the break Harry Tierney getting our second as he slotted into the D for the ball to break kindly to him to blast to the net. 2-1 at the break and it looked like Harry Tierney and Padraig Fallon in the middle of the field had figured out how to go on and win this game. 

Sean Keating was an absolute menace on one wing while Noah McDonnell was making it all look too easy on the other. With a favorable wind in the 2nd half, it was looking good for 3 points. Tom Holohan was introduced at half time for Jamie Lally who was unlucky not to score a brace of chances of his own. Daniel Booth replaced Tadgh Bardell, Eoghan Ryan came in for Fionn Prolux who picked up a knock. With no recognised 2nd left back, the versatile Michael Lally moved left to allow Eoghan to slot into the centre with Morgan. Thomas Screene replaced the powerful Padraig Fallon in mid-field and it was business as usual with the boys creating chance after chance. As the 2nd half wore on it was getting apparent that a 3rd goal was going to be difficult to get. With our entire 11 in attacking mindset it was Maree/Oranmore who broke out on a rare occasion and simply went route 1 with the football. From 20 yards out their striker found Tommy Nutley out of position in goals and slotted the ball to the net on the near post.

2-2 with 20 minutes to go and Maree/ Oranmore believed they could hold on to a point. The Colemanstown lads couldn’t believe what just happened. 5 minutes were needed to settle down again and they continued to commence with attacking. Everything was denying them from the crossbar to the knee of the keeper. With Ryan Shaughnessey playing a pivotal no9 role, it was time to change the attacking approach. Stephen Murphy was brought in with 10 minutes to go and straight away the boys were attacking with a different approach of more direct football.  2 chances fell to Stephen but like all the others, this was not our afternoon to take all 3 points. 2-2 at the final whistle. The top 2 in the table also dropped points, so in a temporary table state, the boys are in 2nd place with a game extra played. Next game will be in January for the boys as no other game is scheduled in the run in to Christmas.  Match report by Robbie Parker