U15 & U13 Boys progress in Divisional Cups

Colemanstown U15s 2 – 0 Maree/Oranmore B
It took extra time to separate Colemanstown & Maree /Oranmore B in Round 1 of the Cup on Sunday evening under lights in Maree astro. After 70 mins of play, 20 mins of extra time and some absolutely superb goalkeeping from the Maree / Oranmore keeper it took the calmest 2 lads in Maree to crack home 2 extra time goals to ensure Colemanstown advanced to the next round of the U15 Div1 Cup.

It was an extraordinary effort by both teams. Colemanstown completely dominated the first half but let their opponents back into the game for large spells of the 2nd half. However, the Colemanstown lads played with great passion and threw the ball around admiringly for most of the game. It wasn’t just the goal scorers that deserve the plaudits, it was the whole team. There were heroes everywhere in green & white. Ross Lally & Donnacha Walsh were imperious in midfield, winning tackles and spreading the play to the wings where Cathal Kennedy & David Walsh were in splendid form. Diarmuid Ryan & Jonah Donnellan were solid at the back and Josh Buckley & Tiarnan Lohan did everything right as they tirelessly ran up the wings whilst pinning back the Oranmore strikers.

Then there was Kyle Madden & Shane Duffy up front, tirelessly working hard, holding the ball up front and giving Oranmore’s defenders a torrid time. Colemanstown started in dominant humour. Cathal Kennedy saw his first effort on 4mins sail over the cross bar, Ross Lally’s low hard drill went across the face of goal, Kyle Madden was wide with a header, Shane Duffy’s effort thundered off the crossbar, Jonah Donnellan’s free kick drew an exceptional save from the keeper & Kennedy saw his header saved all in the first half hour of action. Up the other end, Fionn Flattery was by far the quieter of the 2 keepers but looked well beat on 32mins as Diarmuid Ryan had to be alert to whip a certain goal off the goal line in a rare Oranmore attack. Shane Duffy, Kyle Madden showing splendid footwork & Donnacha Walsh had further goal bound efforts saved before the break. 0-0 at the break despite a hatful of Colemanstown chances.

The 2nd half continued in much the same vein & spirit. Jonah Donnellan’s early chance was saved while Fionn Flattery at the opposite end was well positioned to make a fine stop. Oranmore were beginning to assert more control as a corner sent in was met by an Oranmore striker & they should have gone ahead only Josh Buckley came to the rescue when he whipped the ball off the goal line. Paddy Flynn was sprung from the bench and moments later Matthew Keane as Donnacha Walsh had left every ounce on the field. Both got stuck in as it didn’t take them long to acclimatise with the velocity of the game. Great play originated at the back from Buckley involving Duffy & David Walsh who sent in an enticing ball across the box for Paddy Flynn who just couldn’t connect with the boot. Cathal Kennedy had another effort where you’d have put your house on him to score but again the keeper was well on top of his game 24mins into the 2nd half. Despite the best efforts of both sides, it was 0-0 after 70mins and so to extra time as the tension was rising.

6mins into the first period of extra time, Diarmuid Ryan helped set Colemanstown on their way following a splendid run through the centre, which he sprayed to Cathal Kennedy on the right flank and it was his cross that was finished by the lively Shane Duffy from close range & to great applause. Colemanstown had a further chance in the first period of extra time but Tiarnan Lohan’s effort was wide. Paddy Flynn saw his attempted lob of the keeper after the restart draw a splendid diving save while David Walsh also saw his effort saved. Colemanstown remained disciplined and were further boosted with 5 mins to go when Tiernan Lohan lashed home a splendid effort from the edge of the box, the pace of the ball far too hot for any keeper to stop.

The noise in the 50 seater stand was great when the ball went in and little Cian Walsh was in a jovial and singing mood. Colemanstown held on til the end thanks to fresh legs from Sean Connolly in defence & Jamie Nutley & Ronan Screene up front. The final whistle brought some celebrations from the travelling parents. It was a splendid game from start to finish & somehow Colemanstown got a second wind in extra time to help them to a 2-0 win in the end & so they advance to a meeting with neighbours St. Bernard’s at the end of April.

Squad: Fionn Flatttery, Josh Buckley, Diarmuid Ryan, Jonah Donnellan, Tiarnan Lohan, Cathal Kennedy, Ross Lally, Donnacha Walsh, David Walsh, Kyle Madden, Shane Duffy, Paddy Flynn, Jamie Nutley, Sean Connolly.

Colemanstown U13s 3 – 1 McDara
Our U13s triumphed 3-1 in a dominant cup display at home to Carraroe side McDara early on Saturday morning. Colemanstown stamped their authority on this game from the start and did everything but score in the first half with Martin Mellody hitting the crossbar with a powerful free kick, Tadhg Hart just over the crossbar & James Somers saw his effort saved.

Early in the 2nd half, Tadhg Hart put Colemanstown in front. A Harry Tierney effort deflected off a defender and an attempted clearance was dispossessed by the lurking Tadhg Hart who lobbed the keeper. One got the feeling if one goal came, it might open the floodgates, such was Colemanstown’s dominance. It was Hart who found the net again soon after. James Somers did the hard work to win the ball back in midfield, played Harry Tierney who sent in an inviting pass for Hart who is an assassin in front of goal & he made no mistake in finding the bottom right corner.

Things got even better with 15mins to go, when Joe Carroll halted a McDara attack, and with Tierney & Hart combining they found Tom Holohan who drilled a super effort from the edge of the box into the far corner. McDara clawed one back with 10mins to go as a through ball beat the defence & was well finished as Tommy Nutley could do nothing about it. 3-1 it finished in a super team effort. The back 4 – Joe Carroll, Stephen Murphy, Sean Keating & Tadhg Bardell were outstanding for the entire game and were well assured in possession and reliable in their defending with Michael Lally & Conor Keating also coming up trumps when needed. Harry Tierney, Noah McDonnell & James Somers got to grips with the game fairly lively and were creative in attack while wingers Tom Holohan & Martin Mellody were explosive in their probing runs down the flanks as were Darren Quirke on his debut for the U13s & Fionn Proulx. Aidan Ruane also drifted into attack alongside Tadhg Hart for the final quarter as custodian Tommy Nutley had a less than busy day as he showed great positioning & confidence. Well done lads as we look forward to the next round of the Cup.

Squad: Tommy Nutley, Joe Carroll, Stephen Murphy, Sean Keating, Tadhg Bardell, Martin Mellody, Noah McDonnell, Harry Tierney, James Somers, Tom Holohan, Tadhg Hart, Michael Lally, Conor Keating, Fionn Proulx, Aidan Ruane, Darren Quirke.