U14A League match reports

Maree/Oranmore B vs Colemanstown Saturday 9th April 2022
The sun was shining in Oranmore on Saturday for the 3pm kick off.  Conor Walsh started in goals and was kept busy in the opening minutes, being quick off his line to gather the ball as Oranmore showed their intent in the early play.  Colemanstown had their early chances too with good movement down the wings from Daniel Lydon and Joshua McDonnell.  Ronan Screene had a wide shot and Darren Moran had a couple of early chances which were saved by the keeper and wide.  Tomas Rogerson and Joshua Buckley were busy supporting defense and attack in midfield, while the defensive line up of Cathal Keane, Jamie Burke, Cillian Roche and Nathan Mannion were putting in some solid defensive work.  Halfway through the first half Maree opened the scoreline with a shot on target and so it remained 1-0 at the break.  The jaffa cakes were produced to re-energise the tired legs, however shortly after the second half started Colemanstown were caught off guard when Maree scored a second.  Some changes saw Conor Walsh and Ryan Concannon move to defense, Joshua McDonnell into goals and Nathan Mannion into midfield.  Jamie Burke’s speed in the backline prevented Maree attackers gaining ground along with strong clearances from Conor and Cathal and solid tackles from Ryan.  

The ref blew for a water break with 15 minutes to go due to the heat and Colemanstown went back on the pitch ready to strike.

With 10 minutes remaining Tomas Rogerson was taken down just outside the box and dispatched the shot into the back of the net to make it 2-1.  Two minutes later Cillian Roche got in on the goalscoring action, following a pass from Ronan Screene with a lovely strike to bring the game level with 6 minutes remaining.  Two minutes after that Colemanstown cleared a Maree corner, with Cillian sending the ball long for Tomas Rogerson to run on to, and run he did, from the halfway line straight towards goal, where he dispatched perfectly into the bottom corner, much to the delight of the Colemanstown managment and supporters.  From 2-0 down to winning 3-2 in 6 minutes!  But the game wasn’t over yet, with Maree getting 3 corners in a row, one of which was cleared off the line by Joshua Buckley, the home team scored on their third corner when their attacker slipped it in the net to make it 3-3 just before the final whistle.  

The determination shown by these lads to get themselves back in the game in the last 10 minutes, with tired legs all round was a credit to them.  

MacDara vs Colemanstown Monday 11th April 2022
The lads made the long trip to MacDara on Monday evening with a huge contrast in the weather, gone were the sunny skies of Saturday, replaced with bucketing rain shortly after the match started.  The first leg of this match was a close game with Colemanstown winning 4-3 earlier in the season.  The game was evenly matched for the starting period, with MacDara on the hunt for goals.  Joshua McDonnell in goals was in action early on to gather and clear in the box.  There was some nice footwork on display on the slippy astro despite the rain.  Colemanstown saw some determined play up the wings from Matthew Keane and Daniel Lydon, but the away team didn’t capitalise on balls in to the box with the MacDara defense clearing.  Ronan Screene had a shot saved by the keeper and Darren Moran had a chance on goal but the ball was taken from his foot by the central defender.  Tomas Rogerson and Joshua Buckley were controlling central midfield and playing some lovely balls up front.  Tomas Rogerson had a strong shot on goal but it slipped wide of the post.  Meanwhile Conor Walsh and Cillian Roche in central defense were communicating well and controlling the back line effectively catching the MacDara strikers offside on several occasions, as well as putting in solid tackles.  Nathan Mannion and Cathal Keane were taking on the MacDara wingers and providing back up to the lads in front of them.  MacDara broke the deadlock with a strike near the end of the first half to make it 1-0.  However these Colemanstown lads are not ones to lose heart upon conceding a goal.  The away team were awarded a free kick 10 yards inside the MacDara half which Cillian Roche delivered perfectly from distance to find the top corner of the net to bring it level going into the break.

Both teams started strong in the second half while the rain lashed down.  However MacDara were awarded a free kick shortly after the resumption and it was sent over the bar.  However the referee deemed a Colemanstown player in the wall had put off the MacDara shooter by whistling and told him to take it again.  He again rounded the wall this time and dispatched it into the net to make it 2-1.  Colemanstown continued to press for goals, however did not take enough shots from the possession they had.  Ryan Concannon crossed into the box but the shot from Darren Moran went wide.  MacDara added a third from a corner kick with an attempted headed clearance inside the post went into the net.  Colemanstown were awarded a free kick shortly after but it was dispatched over the bar.  Shortly after MacDara got their fourth with a shot outside the box, despite the best efforts of the Colemanstown defense to clear.  However the visitors were reminded from the sideline of their ability to come back from being behind and straight away decided they would press on.  Cillian took another free kick outside the box, this time low and hard and found the net to bring it back to 4-2.  This brought a huge drive in play from Colemanstown determined to score again, but they were crowded by the MacDara players who swarmed behind the ball to keep them out and so the scoreline remained 4-2.  While the visitors were disappointed they were reminded it was their first loss in this league campaign with 4 matches to play.   Match Reports by Orla McCaffrey