U14A & B Boys Match Reports vs Cregmore

Colemanstown U14A squad took on Cregmore/Claregalway in Colemanstown yesterday evening.  With 5 teams within 2 points of each other at the top of the table the remaining games were going to be tight affairs.  The first round of this pairing back in the height of winter ended in a draw so we knew it would be a close encounter, and so it proved.

Cregmore went on the attack from the tip playing up the pitch with a couple of passes that ended in a ball that sped across the width of the Colemanstown goal before it crossed out over the end line, the visitors showing their intent from the start.  

Colemanstown decided to get in on the action with some lovely work on the right from Nathan Mannion up to Matthew Keane who crossed to Ronan Screene who laid if off for Darren Moran but his shot was too close to the keeper who scooped it up.  Shortly afterwards Conor Walsh, who was superb in defence all match, laid the ball to Tomas Rogerson who turned to lose the defender, his strong shot went to the right and wide.  Joshua Buckley played a high crossfield ball out wide to Matthew Keane, who tousled with the defender to win a corner, which was taken well by Matthew Keane across the face of box with a goal saving header from the Cregmore defense.

 Great link up play again between Nathan Mannion and Matthew Keane led to a lovely run up the wing by Matthew, who chipped the ball across the box to Joshua Buckley who struck the ball past the keeper to the corner of the net despite the defenders best attempt to keep it out to make it 1-0 to the home team about 10 minutes before half time.  Daniel Lydon in midfield challenged strongly for a Cregmore kick out, getting the ball to Ronan Screene who passed out wide with a lovely chip over the defender to Matthew Keane but good work in the Cregmore defence took the ball as Matthew was preparing to shoot.  Ronan Screene placed the ball off perfectly to Darren Moran for another Colemanstown attack but Darrens shot was cleared out to the sideline.  Cregmore had a couple of attempts from outside the box but Joshua McDonnell was quick off his line to avert the danger.  Cathal Keane and Jamie Burke played a lovely one-two after clearing danger on the left of defence sending the ball to Tomas Rogerson, but his shot was cleared for a corner.  Following the clearance from the Colemanstown corner the long ball from the Cregmore keeper was pounced on by the right midfielder who made a run towards the Colemanstown goal and his resultant shot went into the top of the net to bring the sides level at a goal apiece into half-time.

 The 2nd half started with both teams looking to score.  Tomas Rogerson and Joshua Buckley showed some nice footwork to create a chance down the left wing, with Cathal Keane and Jamie Burke supporting the attacking play, but the resultant pass from Cathal into the box was gathered by the keeper.  Some switches after the break saw Alex Kelly move in to midfield and get stuck in with some strong tackling.  Colemanstown won a free kick between the half way line and the Cregmore box.  Conor Walsh decided to shoot for goal and struck it beautifully into the top left corner, leaving the keeper no chance, to put Colemanstown back into the lead at 2-1.  However this game had more goals to come and Cregmore went on the attack not long after with a well struck shot to bring it back level at 2-2.  

Ryan Concannon was introduced and he held the ball up well in the centre to lay it off nicely for Matthew Keane to speed towards goal, but the Cregmore defence were on form to clear the danger.  Nathan Mannion did some superb running up the wing with the ball but again the Cregmore defence were on hand to clear.  

 With 10 minutes to go Tomas Rogerson was taken down near the left corner flag and took the free kick himself to send it high into the box, the ball was taken down and controlled by Joshua Buckley who then superbly struck it to the middle of the goal to put Colemanstown ahead with his second goal of the game, bringing it to 3-2 to the home side.  

Jamie Burke and Conor Walsh had to be alert in the centre of defence as Cregmore piled on the pressure, showing some excellent tackles and clearances.  However Cregmore drew level with a long ball over the top for the attacker to run onto and blast it to the Colemanstown goal to bring the game level yet again at 3-3.  Joshua McDonnell was quick out to save another long ball being chased down by the Cregmore strikers.  Conor Walsh stepped up to take another free kick in an almost identical spot to where he scored his first from, but the Cregmore keeper got his hands to this shot to keep it out.

 It remained 3-3 until about 2 minutes from the end when again a long ball from Cregmore was chased down, Joshua McDonnell went down to make the save with both hands and although it seemed an illegal dispossession by the Cregmore striker’s boot, and as the ball was goalward bound Cathal Keane was on the line to stop it, but upended in the process and with the striker & Keane both floored on the goal line, the ball was deemed over the line to bring it to 4-3.  Despite VAR being in place, the goal was given and it’s fair to say many Colemanstown players and supporters were baffled by the outcome.

The Colemanstown lads continued to press looking to level it, but couldn’t find the net, after a lovely run by Joshua Buckley past 3 defenders but his shot was well saved, followed by strong balls into the box by both Tomas Rogerson and then Daniel Lydon and a clearance following Darren Moran’s attempt, the ref blew the final whistle, much to the disappointment of the home side. 

They really left everything out on the pitch.  The lads showed good technical skills and worked together as a unit in their pursuit of goals, but unfortunately lost out in the end.  The league remains open with the Colemanstown lads having 3 home games to come.  Match report by Orla McCaffrey.

Managers: Damien Mannion and Orla McCaffrey

Squad: Joshua McDonnell, Cathal Keane, Jamie Burke, Conor Walsh, Nathan Mannion, Matthew Keane, Joshua Buckley, Daniel Lydon, Tomas Rogerson, Darren Moran, Ronan Screene, Ryan Concannon, Alex Kelly.

Our U14Bs lost 6-1 again to the same opposition, Cregmore  / Claregalway C in their latest league encounter played in Colemanstown also yesterday evening. Despite the comprehensive nature of the scoreline, Colemanstown opened the scoring on 10mins when a James Somers cross was missed by a Cregmore defender and the vigilant Niamh Kennedy latched onto the cross, found herself one-on-one with the keeper, held her nerve to finish well. This invigorated the home team but only momentarily. Immediately Cregmore responded with a quick fire goal and added 4 more before the break despite the best efforts of Dylan King in goals, whose efforts and bravery throughout coupled with that of centre backs Lucy Roberts & Tyler Collins & Caolean Caulfield & Sean Keating in the corners. Tadhg Hart also saw his first half chance from the edge of the box go wide.

Colemanstown should be proud of their 2nd half performance as they battled hard, only conceding 1 further goal to a much more physical Cregmore outfit. Unfortunately, they were not able to penetrate a solid Cregmore rearguard to add to their score tally as much of the 2nd half was played in the middle third of the field with Tommie Muldoon, Tadhg Hart, James Somers & Libby Kennedy well in the action while Niamh Kennedy and Francis Weldon fought well up front while Niall Grady & Aaron Lyndsey Bane also fought hard when introduced. Once the visitors took a two-goal lead it was an uphill fight after that.

Squad: Dylan King, Caolean Caulfield, Lucy Roberts, Tyler Collins, Sean Keating, Tommie Muldoon, Tadhg Hart, James Somers, Libby Kennedy, Niamh Kennedy, Francis Weldon, Niall Grady, Aaron Lyndsey-Bane.