U13’s & U15’s derailed in Divisional Cup

Our U13’s took on a strong Corofin side in Round 1 of the Divisional Cup on a bitterly cold morning in Corofin yesterday. Although we started brightly with some good chances as Conor Moran hit the crossbar while Conor Byron’s rebounder was well saved. Michael Flattery also had a good effort which was well saved. However, Corofin scored the opener on 15mins and the floodgates opened for them thereafter with 3 more in quick succession which left the score 4-0 at the break and an uphill 2nd half battle for our youngsters in the cold. Our lads pulled a goal back 10mins into the 2nd half as Ryan Noone’s corner broke in the box and was lashed home by Conor Moran for his 6th goal of the season. We conceded again late in the game to lose 5-1. We restricted the hosts to just a solitary goal in the 2nd half, putting in a much better shift and defending well as Darragh Roche influenced the game splendidly at right back.

U15’s: Both teams served up a great game of soccer in Round 1 of the Divisional Cup played in Drom yesterday afternoon. Salthill edged the first half in terms of possession but in the 2nd half Colemanstown had more meaningful possession. Salthill started strongly putting Colemanstown under severe pressure but our defence sustained the pressure as Ethan Lally, Robert Cosgrove & Josh Brennan stoutly defended until the 10th minute when a cross was sent into the box and Salthill’s big physical midfielder powered home his header. No real chances fell to Colemanstown in the 1st half as Salthill were more impressive showing great influence on the game. 1-0 at half time. In the 2nd half, Colemanstown came out a more revitalised outfit showing much desire to get back into the game. They were rewarded 5mins after the restart when Thady Moran’s corner was finished in the box by the towering Adam Wynne. This buoyed up our lads who took control of the game for the next 15mins. Mika Harun went on a great run only to be taken down; the resultant free kick dispatched beautifully by Thady Moran to go 2-1 up. With 12mins to go Salthill woke from their slumber and rallied well as they searched for an equaliser which came as a result of a cross into the box which was tapped in from just outside the box. The winner came for Salthill with 2 mins left when their big man at central midfield shot a piledriver from distance which he rifled into the roof of the net leaving Daniel Glynn with absolutely no chance. 3-2 it finished as we now bow out of the Division 1 Cup. We fielded with a few notable absentees but this was no excuse as in truth we were beaten by just about a better side. The 2 sides meet again next weekend, this time in the league scheduled for Drom on Saturday next at 12.30KO.

Also our academy had the privilege of meeting Galway Utd. manager Shane Keegan and recent goalkeeper signing Ciaran Nugent ‘Nuge’  who hails from Massachusetts (previously signed with Sligo Rovers) who came to visit the club yesterday morning. Shane Keegan gave a nice motivational speech to the youngsters on the importance of practice, focusing on all aspects of their play and the possibility of playing for Galway Utd starting at U15 level right up to U19. The 2 lads had a kick about with our players, eagerly spotting the talent, and a penalty shoot-out ensued with Nuge who has maintained a clean sheet in his 4 starts for Galway Utd to date.  Big thanks to Grainne Lally for the copious cups of hot tea provided on a bitterly cold morning.