U13s Cup run halted

Our young green and white U13 army succumbed to their second defeat of the season in a ferociously contested Colemanstown battle yesterday. This was the 2nd time in as many years to lose to city side Corrib Rangers, this time in the Divisional Cup. While they were unlucky to be eventually undone on a score of 3-2, Jayo Finn & Gary Lally’s team can hold their heads high after proving themselves to be amongst the very best at their level.  This was always going to be a tough battle given that the Westside team are amongst the tabletoppers in the next league grade up. It would have been an incredible achievement to have gone further in the Cup but their efforts should still be applauded following a run of just two defeats (Divisional Cup & SFAI Cup) in ten competitive games.

This was a tough physical battle between two evenly matched teams. The break through came on 10mins following a free kick earned by Jason Rabbitte, whipped in by Jonah Donnellan and as Corrib Rangers only half cleared the ball, it fell to Donnellan who cracked home the opener. 4 mins later David Walsh orchestrated a lovely move involving Cilly Fahey who found Rabbitte but Jayo hurried his effort to shoot marginally wide of the right post. Corrib Rangers restored parity on 21 mins as the bounce of a long ball from midfield caught Cian Ruane off his goal line and as he scampered back to retrieve it, the ball dribbled over the goal line.

The visitors doubled their advantage 2mins later with a well worked goal as they looked dangerous on the break. Cilly Fahey levelled the game before the break as the ball fortuitously deflected off Killian Hughes nicely into the path of Fahey who throttled through on goal, waited for the keeper to commit, maintained his composure and slotted the ball straight down the centre. Right on the stroke of half time Jayo Rabbitte had to be vigilant as he whipped the ball off his own line when the visitors looked certain to regain the lead. 2-2 at half time.

Colemanstown restarted the 2nd half well as the 2 Cilly’s combined, Killian Hughes & Cillian Fahey with the latter finding Jayo Rabbitte on the edge of the 18’ box but he volleyed too powerful and blasted his effort well over the bar; it would have been a beauty had it found the net. Corrib Rangers restored their advantage 8mins into the 2nd half as a loose ball was swept home to put Colemanstown on the back foot. Fahey put Rabbitte through and as he was clean through on goal, he appeared to be taken down in the box but the ref waved play on as the injured Jayo was left nursing his clipped ankle. Rabbitte was close with a header and Harry Mitchell tried his luck but his effort was also wide as you could sense that Colemanstown knew it was now or never for them as they threw everything in to hauling back the 1 goal advantage to bring the game to extra time. Luke Williams also saw his low hard drill well held by the keeper. In the end, time ran out on these hard working players who certainly did their club proud with their battling performance.

With 2 league games remaining, it looks certain to go down to the wire in the last game of the season against unbeaten Cregmore at home.

Squad: Cian Ruane, Eanna Burke, Luke Williams, Ciarán Keating, Harry Mitchell, Jason Rabbitte, Jonah Donnellan, Cian Burke, David Walsh, Cillian Fahey, Killian Hughes, Ross Lally, Dara Scarry, Jonathan Keane, Eoin Keague, Larry Murrajvos.