U13 & U18 Boys Match Reports

U18s Premier: Mervue 4 – 0 Colemanstown Our U18s latest League match against Mervue Utd on Thurs last wound up being a sobering experience under lights in Mervue. We conceded 2 goals in the opening 10 minutes as the going was tough.  Having sustained some early pressure, the deadlock was broke on 8mins through a header from a corner. Less than 2mins later, Mervue widened the gap through the penalty spot although Fionn Flattery did get his paw to it.  It was the 25th minute before Colemanstown created their first half chance. A fee kick from Cian Ruane was floated in & Ciaran Mulhern got his head to it, albeit the finish was well off target.  Harry Mitchell drew a save from the keeper on 35mins and that was as good as it got for the lads in green as Mervue were by far the dominant team, tormenting our defence as they were far from shy in shooting. 

Mulhern was well over on 57mins with a shot from distance after Tommy Mellody & Aironas originated the move. The best Colemanstown chance of the game arrived on 66mins when Mellody worked hard to win a corner which was floated in by Aironas; Mulhern got the nod on it but the keeper saved well. Mervue broke on the counter and scored immediately down the other end to make it 3-0 & no way back.  With 10mins to play, Colemanstown were awarded a free kick which was quickly taken by Aironas to Mulhern but he saw his drilled effort saved by the keeper who was on top of his game. Tiarnan Proulx then booted his effort over as he connected to a corner again taken by Aironas. With 7mins to play, Colemanstown had a super chance. Tiarnan Lohan did super work on the left, found Tiarnan Proulx & his smashing pass saw Mulhern in space but he drilled his right footed effort inches off the butt of the post. Mervue remained relentless with their pressing and ball retention and scored their 4th in a well worked goal to wrap up a convincing win for Mervue.  The lads will bid to get back on track on Sunday when they play Athenry in the Irish Cup. 

U13 Boys Div2. Athenry 0 -4 Colemanstown Our U13 boys travelled the short distance to Athenry on Sat morning for their 2nd league game. With the wind at their backs for the 1st half the boys enjoyed most of the play in Athenry ‘s half & following 2 strikes of the woodwork finally broke the deadlock with a great passage of play from Owen Hillary & Finian Walsh who laid off to Daithi Burns for his 1st goal. A few minutes later with great pressure from our forwards Owen Hillary slotted home our 2nd to make it 2-0 at half time. 

The 2nd half started with Athenry piling on the pressure but our back four of Darragh Blake, Oisin Nugent, David Barrett & Liam O’Connor worked well to counter any threat. Dermot Parker made some great runs & was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. Our 3rd goal came from a great tackle from Daithi Burns to steal from the defender & finish to the net  much to the dismay of the Athenry keeper but the boys were really enjoying the game & putting some great passes together. Conal McDonagh & Jack Barrett gave great support to our attacking forwards. Changes were made & Mikey Nutley & Gearoid Griffin slotted in effortlessly for a well polished team performance . Our final goal came with a  great pass from Dermot Parker to Owen Hillary who rounded the keeper & slot home to claim his brace. It was an all round team effort; all the lads played their part & fair play to Aidan Quinn on keeping a clean sheet, hopefully the 1st of many.  Match Report thanks to Alan Walsh.

Final score: Athenry 0 – 4 Colemanstown Squad: Aidan Quinn, Darragh Blake, David Barrett, Oisin Nugent, Liam O Connor, Conal McDonagh, Dermot Parker, Owen Hillary, Jack Barrett, Finian Walsh, Daithi Burns, Mikey Nutley, Gearoid Griffin.