U12A & U12B Weekend Match Reports

Manager Orla McCaffrey gives a great account of both our U12A & U12B league victories over the weekend.

U12B Team’s home win over Knocknacarra

Colemanstown U12B welcomed Knocknacarra for their last league game before Christmas.  The team were determined to end the year with a win and this determination was evident from the start.  Niamh Kennedy was forced to produce a fantastic save moments into the match from an excellent Knocknacarra shot.  The Colemanstown defence of Padraig Kelly, Kyle McDonagh, Tiernan Malone and Niall Grady got stuck in with some excellent covering and tackles, reducing the risk of shots on goal and working with dogged determination all through the game.  Midfielders Francis Weldon, Ella Carroll, Ronan Screene, Oisin O’Raghallaigh and Evan Walsh challenged for every ball, with some lovely passing moves through to Aaron Lindsay-Bane and a few early shots on the Knocknacarra goal.  Matthew Keane made his debut with this Colemanstown team, producing some lovely individual passing moves and runs, while supporting his teammates throughout.  Welcome to the team Matthew! Ella, Ronan, Oisin and Aaron had some early chances, which were saved by the keeper.  However it was Knocknacarra who broke the deadlock in the first half with a well taken shot.  1-0 to the visitors.  This Colemanstown team became more determined however and following some lovely defensive work, Aaron Lindsay Bane provided an excellent pass to Ronan Screene who made no mistake to send it to the back of the net to make it 1-1.  Play continued with both sides pushing for their second.  This time it was Colemanstown who took the lead with some lovely passing play through midfield, a pass from Aaron to Francis Weldon who produced a lovely shot to score his first league goal for Colemanstown! 2-1 to Colemanstown at the break. 

Dylan King moved to the goalkeeper’s position, with Niamh coming redeployed outfield to get stuck into some crunching tackles in midfield from the restart.  Dylan had an excellent stint minding the net throughout the second half.  Both teams were pushing hard with chances at both ends.  However it was Padraig Kelly who scored Colemanstown’s 3rd from just over the half way line, lobbing the Knocknacarra keeper to score a fantastic well deserved first league goal with this team to add to the goal he pocketed in the Connacht Cup tie earlier in the season!  It was a well matched game by two evenly matched sides, however Colemanstown’s dogged determination, well timed tackles and passing, with super finishing led this team to victory!

Squad: Niamh Kennedy, Tiernan Malone, Padraig Kelly, Kyle McDonagh, Matthew Keane, Francis Weldon, Ella Carroll, Ronan Screene, Aaron Lindsay-Bane, Evan Walsh, Niall Grady, Dylan King, Oisin O’Raghallaigh. Managers: Liz Carroll and Damien Mannion

U12A team remain undefeated

Our U12A team travelled to Corofin on Saturday, with both teams having played 3 league matches so far this season and both having won all 3.  The visiting team played against a very strong wind for the first half, but got stuck in straight from the off.  Joshua McDonnell dealt well with some early attacks, the defensive squad of James Queeney, Conor Walsh, Fionn Donoghue and Ryan Concannon working hard to stop the Corofin attacks throughout the game, showcasing some superb tackles and clearances.  Midfielders Cillian Roche, Shane Quirke, Cathal Keane and Joshua Buckley supported both defence and attack, closing down Knocknacarra play, finding space and taking some early shots.  Darren Moran was on his toes throughout, causing all sorts of problems for the Corofin defence. Nathan Mannion put in a great stint in midfield, with some dogged tackles and passes up front prior to him having to come off injured.  The first goal of the game came early on, with Joshua Buckley blocking down a Knocknacarra clearance, sending the ball straight to Darren Moran, who finished a lovely strike straight to the back of the net. 1-0 to Colemanstown.  Corofin came back on the attack but the Colemanstown defence held firm to see them off putting put in massive effort throughout.  Colemanstown’s second came not too long afterwards, with precise passing out of defence by James Queeney to Conor Walsh, through to Cillian Roche whose powerful strike from outside the box found the net to make it 2-0.  Corofin got one back before the break, when the ball bounced awkwardly in front of the Colemanstown keeper and rolled into the back of the net 2-1 at the break.

Colemanstown got stuck in straight from the restart, with a range of passing play through midfield to the strikeforce up front, with shots on the Corofin goal being dealt with by the keeper.  Colemanstown scored a third when Shane Quirke went on a lovely run up the left wing, passed the Corofin defence and his shot from the left side found the very bottom corner.  3-1. Colemanstown’s 4th came from a long Colemanstown clearance taken down by Cillian Roche, into Shane Quirke, who rounded his defender to find the bottom corner. 4-1. Corofin did not drop their heads, and commenced a sustained attacking period, which despite the strong defence and an excellent save from the Colemanstown keeper, resulted in a goal for the home team to make it 4-2.  Colemanstown held on for the final minutes, with another few attacks coming at both ends.  Each of the Corofin boys were kept on their toes for the final minutes so as not to concede a 5th goal.  Colemanstown maintained their unbeaten record in this league, making it 4 wins out of 4. 

Squad: Joshua McDonnell, James Queeney, Conor Walsh, Ryan Concannon, Fionn Donohue, Nathan Mannion, Cathal Keane, Cillian Roche, Joshua Buckley, Shane Quirke, Darren Moran. Managers: Orla McCaffrey and Fidelma Walsh