U12 Boys & U12 Girls both kick off season against Kilshanvey

U12 Boys vs Kilshanvey
Kilshanvey got the better of Colemanstown’s U12 boys in their first league outing away on Saturday in the U12 Div1 League.  Colemanstown started the game well with Tom Holohan, Martin Mellody & Harry Tierney testing Kilshanvey’s keeper with some early shots but he was in top class form and looked far more senior than his 2009 date of birth would have you believe. It was Kilshanvey who opened their account early in the game and then Harry Tierney had a chance to level matters when he was felled in the box and immediately stood over the ball to take the resultant penalty. He composed himself well but low & behold the keeper was equal to the task.  1-0 at half time.

5 mins after the restart, centre back Jamie Lally restored parity when a long range speculative shot from inside his own half found its way to the net. This lad is taking after his uncle Alo with such a fine effort. The joy was short lived though as Kilshanvey won a controversial penalty which they converted. With the sun shining, the Colemanstown lads threw everything they had into the remainder of the game. There was great faith in Stephen Murphy who did what he had to do between the sticks. Tadhg Bardell, Jamie Lally, & Joe Carroll did their job at the back with minimal fuss and regularly won the ball back helping to break up Kilshanvey attacks. In the middle of the park Harry Tierney, Noah McDonnell, Sean Keating & Martin McDonnell played the sort of free-flowing, attacking football they are mentored to, under the guidance of Simon Tierney, Drew Bardell, Neil McDonnell & James Barclay. Conor Keating & Matthew Harte put some good runs together around the middle of the field. Tom Holohan did the business well up front to justify his €52m transfer fee while Aidan Ruane justified his transfer from Barcelona Youth Academy.

As the game progressed towards the end and with the transition to 9v9 pitch, tired legs became evident. Kilshanvey killed off Colemanstown’s gutsy fight with 5 mins to go when they scored their 3rd goal to finish 3-1 winners.  Overall it was an enthusiastic, fighting performance from the Colemanstown lads. They were eager to get going in the first game of the season and while they didn’t get the goals they craved for to restore parity, it certainly wasn’t for the lack of trying. Well done lads, onwards & upwards from here.

Squad: Stephen Murphy, Tadhg Bardell, Jamie Lally, Joe Carroll, Harry Tierney, Noah McDonnell, Sean Keating, Martin Mellody, Tom Holohan, Matthew Harte, Conor Keating, Aidan Ruane.

U12 Girls show great skill in 3-3 draw  – Report by Zoe Kennedy

It was a mix of nerves and excitement in Kilshanvey on Sunday morning when our U12 girls prepared to play their first game of the season. They knew they wern’t going to have an easy match against a strong Kilshanvey team but the young squad were both eager and determined.

As the referees whistle started the game, both teams were very quick off the mark and got into their stride. Colemanstown struck first with an excellent cross in by Lillie Kirby to the Ever-Ready Grace Mitchell who took her chance on an early goal but unfortunately watched it go wide.

This first half opened out into a very fast paced match for both sides with both teams driving the ball up to their respective strikeforce. A very strong midfield trio of Eva Molloy, Liliana King and Lillie Kirby proved to be a force to be reckoned with, as they continually drove the ball forward, keeping the Kilshanvey girls at bay and ensuring the ball got through to strikers Grace Mitchell and Rachel Kennedy who were eager for a goal.  But as Colemanstown played against strong winds, it was Kilshanvey who scored first. Not to let their moods dampen, the Colemanstown girls set out to even the score. Both teams created a number of chances with the ball covering a lot of ground as it was passed confidently, up and down the pitch. Luckily, seasoned defenders Aisling Ruane, Anna Barrett and Aoife Hynes were in top form clearing numerous dangerous balls driven in from the talented Kilshanvey strikers.

 Ruby Lynch had her work cut out for her as Kilshanvey had a number of shots on goal but the strong, determined keeper wasn’t phased at all and has to be commended on those super saves and great kick outs!

With brilliant passing between Liliana King and Eva Molloy, they got the ball up the field finding Lillie Kirby who powered in an excellent cross to Rachel Kennedy. With some impressive ball control Rachel managed to find a way through the defenders and pass to Grace Mitchell who just eased her way past a final defender to power the ball past the goalkeeper into the goal! Lots of jubilant cheering ensued as Colemanstown knew they were back in the game!!

The excitement was short lived as a Kilshanvey defender kicked a long ball through to their strikeforce scoring themselves a second goal just minutes before the half time whistle.

Half time score Kilshanvey 2 Colemanstown 1

With fuelled determination the girls got back on to the pitch for the second half. It wasn’t long before Aoife Hynes got behind the ball driving it up the wing towards  Liliana King and Lillie Kirby who found Eva Molloy who literally tore through the midfield at impressive speed! With Grace and Rachel shouting for the pass, dying to get in on the action, it was a combination of pinpoint passing and dummies from all of them that found Grace Mitchell at the end of the ball once more as she drove it in to the goal. The score was once again level and the girls were elated.

However, the excitement was cut short when Kilshanvey were awarded a penalty. The silence was deafening. A powerful shot to the top left corner was in before anyone knew it. Five Ruby Lynch’s wouldn’t have saved it!.

The second half was turning into a pretty dramatic affair with 2 determined teams looking for the next goal.  Colemanstown certainly dominated in the second half. The girls had a number of great goal attempts from Eva Molloy, Anna Barrett, Rachel Kennedy, Shona Barrett, Aoife Hynes and Grace Mitchell,  but each one either saved by their resolute keeper or just going wide. Super effort by these girls.

Between Aoife Hynes, Della Griffin and captain Aisling Ruane all defended superbly in the second half making it difficult for the Kilshanvey girls to break through. Della Griffin’s superb deliveries to midfield where Shona Barrett and Anna Barrett were in top form as they weaved in and out of the opposition finding available strikers.

Suddenly, a hand ball from Kilshanvey meant Colemanstown were awarded a penalty in the 20th minute. My nerves were in tatters at this stage and I was glad to see a very calm and confident Eva Molloy step up, place the ball down and effortlessly  power  the ball in past their keeper, striking the back of the net!! Once again the girls were ecstatic having coming from behind yet again against Kilshanvey on a score of 3-3.

Some superb passes and chances ensued from the Colemanstown girls with a further 2 near goal chances from Della Griffin and Lillie Kirby but neither team could get the extra goal needed for the win. Our Captain for the day, Aisling did a magnificent job organising and encouraging her squad for the entire game. Well done Aisling.  A superb first game for this great bunch of girls!! Well done all of you!!