U12 Boys bounce back from 1-0 down to advance in Connacht Shield

Our U12 boys advanced to the quarter final of the Connacht Shield with a close hard fought win 2-1 win over Mayo side Kilmurry today in Kiltullagh Astro, due to unplayable pitches in Colemanstown.

The Colemanstown boys lined out with a solid defence of Adam Kenny in goals, Daragh Blake, Keelyn Kirby, Dermot Parker and Liam O Connor in the back line. Finian Walsh, Owen Hillary and David Barrett took their places in mid-field and Daniel Ruane up front. Both teams were evenly matched for the first 15 minutes of the game. The boys in green started to excel as they pressed forward with Daniel Ruane very unlucky not to score on a few occasions. Kilmurry found a rare gap in our strong back line and scored the first goal in the opening half. However, the boys got straight back into the game with Owen Hillary working very hard on the right wing. He crossed ball after ball into the Kilmurry danger area but their keeper and defence were in top form clearing the ball up the field. Kilmurry put in some great attacks but Adam Kenny was not letting another ball into his net. Gearoid Griffin, Daithi Burns and Oisin Nugent were introduced to the game as some excellent passages of play was witnessed from both sides.

Half time arrived and the boys chatted with manager Alan. The boys in green went out to win the second half and from the start piled on the pressure. Kilmurry were not giving up either and came close to scoring their next goal but Adam Kenny made some essential saves to keep alive the Colemanstown boys place in the quarter final. Kealan Murray replaced David Barrett and hadn’t much time to settle into the game. The pressure was on the Colemanstown boys to find the equaliser and in the next few minutes of play Kealan Murray found the back of the Kilmurry net. The boys were on the hunt for the next goal and with our defence and midfielders working hard together earned themselves a corner kick. Keelyn Kirby stepped up to take the corner and with a short pass to Kealan Murray saw the ball drop just right for Oisin Nugent who headed into the top right corner. A goal Mo Salah would be proud of. With 8 minutes to go the boys got into defence mode. Owen Hillary had to retire due to injury and Finian Walsh was re-introduced. Mikey Nutley was also called into the fray & got straight into the game and had some great runs on goal. The last few minutes Kilmurry threw everything at our boys but they stood strong until the final whistle blew. The boys shook hands and await the draw to take place to see who they meet in the quarter final of the Connacht Shield.  A great win for our U12 boys. Final score: Colemanstown 2 – 1 Kilmurry. 

Match Report: Ita Kenny

Squad: Adam Kenny, Dermot Parker, Daragh Blake, Liam O Connor, Daniel Ruane, David Barrett, Daithi Burns, Keelyn Kirby, Owen Hillary, Kealan Murray, Finian Walsh, Mikey Nutley, Gearoid Griffin, Oisin Nugent.