Two sucker punches despite ‘A’ teams fighting spirit

Colemanstown travelled to Headford last night to take on Moyne Villa in their 2nd league outing. Colemanstown dominated the early exchanges in the first half and after good work by John O’Brien to hold up the ball, they worked an opening for Sean Walsh on the edge of the area whose early sighter flew narrowly over the bar.

The visitors opened the scoring after 25 minutes when a corner was cleared but after some good work on the left wing by Dylan Grady gave an opportunity to Alan Finn to whip a great ball across the 6 yard box where Conor Jackson powerfully held off his man to stoop down and head home. Colemanstown could have doubled the advantage just minutes later when Ray Moran found Walsh again and after some good footwork his effort again flashed just over the bar. Moyne Villa spearheaded by Galway footballer Shane Walsh, fired a warning shot just before half time when a good strike needed to be pushed away smartly by John Gormally only for an onrushing Villa player to get first to the rebound and his goal bound effort was again thwarted by a superb save from Gormally. 1-0 at Half time.

The 2nd half was barely 5 minutes old when a serious clash of heads led to the Colemanstown captain Alan Finn having to leave the pitch and this proved a key turning point as Moyne Villa grew in confidence and got a foothold in midfield.

Colemanstown defended well and were a match for everything Moyne Villa threw at them with Ray Moran and the evergreen Padraig Quirke working tirelessly in midfield while Conor Jackson, Ronan Geraghty and Jason Finn seemed to have an answer for everything the hosts threw their way….that was until an attack down the left channel resulted in the Moyne Villa striker being felled unceremoniously by Jason Finn inside the large rectangle allowing Moyne Villa a way back into the match. Villa made no mistake from the spot kick and the game was poised delicately with 15 minutes to play.

Colemanstown rallied and John O’Brien drove at the heart of the Villa defence only to be upended just outside the box. Ray Moran’s resulting free was gathered by the keeper at the second attempt. Moments later another free was awarded right on the edge after Shane Lally was hauled down but Ronan Geraghty couldn’t direct his attempt on target. After a 2nd lengthy stoppage the Villa keeper was carried off and the game looked to be petering out when disaster struck; a free kick just outside Colemanstown’s box on the right wing was taken short to keeper John Gormally whose clearance cannoned off the Villa striker’s head and fell kindly for him to fire into an empty net. Colemanstown rallied and pushed forward for an equaliser that they surely deserved and despite some goalmouth scrambles and an indirect freekick from 10 yards which was blocked in a manner more fitting of Croke Park this Sunday, Villa held on to take all 3 points and leave Colemanstown frustrated for the 2nd time in as many games.

There is no doubting the effort these guys put in, the ability in this side and their fighting spirit seen in abundance but with just three days to the next league game at home to Renmore there is some soul searching and reflection needed to heal the mental scars of two undeserved and for the most part avoidable defeats. However on a positive note it was Colemanstown who were afire with passion, fight and all the ingredients necessary to win; they just failed with the rub of the green.

Man of the Match – Conor Jackson for his solidity at the back as he never put a foot wrong while also opening his account for the season.

Squad: John Gormally, Ronan Geraghty, Conor Jackson, Jason Finn, Jack Kennedy, Padraig Quirke, Ray Moran, Alan Finn (C), Sean Walsh, John O’Brien, Dylan Grady.

Subs used: Gareth Lally, Shane Lally, Stephen Walsh, Tomas Carr.

Match report by ‘A’ team management – keep up the excellent work lads!