Tough at the top for ‘A’ team

It was a splendid sporting weekend: Munster beat the Maori All Blacks on Friday evening, the Irish soccer team had a crucial win over Austria in Vienna on Saturday eve while the new look Irish rugby team had a comfortable win over Canada in the Aviva later on Saturday night and then we woke up on Sunday morning to hear McGregor had another flashy belt under his belt!  All we needed to crown a great sporting weekend was our A team to upset near neighbours St Bernard’s yesterday morning in their latest league outing…… but it was not to be despite a hard fight right to the bitter end. Colemanstown began the game with great verve, intensity and plenty of aggression putting the visitors under heavy defensive pressure right through the game until the end and won the lion’s share of 50/50 balls for the entire match. But in the end, the sole goal of the game fell to St. Bernards about 8mins into the 2nd half and that was enough to see them bag all 3 points. It was a very hardworking game with two tough teams in action and little between both teams. The difference was that they took their chance and we had a couple of good chances but just didn’t score. Ray Moran had the first chance for Colemanstown, running through on goal but with no passing option but to go for goal himself, he drove a bullet of a shot towards the keeper which was not too far off the mark. Then Tom Flan found himself one-on-one with the keeper but the Bernards custodian saved well. Kegs had our next effort but he miskicked a beauty cross from Damo Wynne. The crucial blow came 8mins into the 2nd half when Bernards got on the end of a free kick to blast past Gelston. 2mins later though a quick free kick lofted into the danger area by Alan Finn found Stephen Rabbitt but he failed to keep his shot on target. On 62mins Gelston made a great double save when the Bernards striker found himself one-on-one but Gelston held his nerve and was quick off his line to make a smashing save and was down again in a flash to save the rebounded effort. Subsequently Gelston’s quick kick out found Damo Wynne on the break but with a 5 man rearguard at the back there was no headway on goal. Gelston made another great save shortly afterwards from a close range header where he got down well and showed great handling of the ball. Bernard’s almost made the game safe 12 mins later when the ball was in the net but the ref gave a free out for a foul on Niall Gelston. Damo Wynne had another half chance with a lovely overhead bicycle kick from an Alo Finn corner but was well off target.  Niall Gelston originated our next move as he came to collect a ball near the stand side of the field and a great pass to Kegs who found Ray Moran lurking 23 yards out and a bullet of a shot was tipped over the crossbar as the resultant corner kick was again well defended by Bernards. Kegs then had half a chance but was also off target. Lee Murphy was introduced as fresh young legs while Johnny Lally & Ronnie Geraghty were then introduced to run at the Bernard’s strong defensive unit. Paddy Mullins was also introduced to try and win the equaliser against his Monivea- Abbey football teammates as Bernards were made survive a late onslaught but it was that kinda morning for Colemanstown and it was Bernards who stole all 3 points to lift them up to 3rd place in the Premier league table, albeit, there were plenty of positives for our boys in green, none more so than their never say die attitude and unreal fighting spirit. Next weekend sees a busy weekend of football with all our teams in action: First up on Saturday U13’s v Tuam Celtic in Tuam, KO 10.30am; U11’s v Renmore in Renmore in the U11 Developmental league, KO 11.30am; Reserves v West Utd at home, KO 2pm; B team v Cregmore/Claregalway in Cregmore, KO 2pm while our U15’s play Kinvara Utd away also on Saturday, KO 3pm. Our A team play Salthill Devon in a crucial league game on Sunday morning at home; 11am KO.