Stalemate for U12’s in Tuam

This was always going to be a tight tense affair and so it was as the outcome in Tuam on Saturday morning was still in the balance right up until the final whistle. A share of the spoils was probably the fairest result as no one really deserved to loose this league game. 3-3 it finished while it started with both Colemanstown & Tuam Celtic sitting one behind the other in the U12 Div 1 table. Colemanstown settled quickly and had a good chance when the game was 2mins old when Mark Donnellan held up the ball well for Michael Flattery who put a lovely ball through to Liam Gormally but his effort went right across the face of goal. A minute later though they made no mistake as Michael Flattery is credited with the assist & Sean Hansberry finished well thanks to a deflection off the keeper to add to his goal tally of late. On 8mins Liam Gormally was credited with the assist as a long ball from the back was exquisitely put through for Ryan Noone to run on to and he made no mistake, held his head well to unleash an unstoppable left footed strike to the right of the keeper. Darragh Roche was then called into action as he made a good stop as Tuam sailed a hard driving attempt from distance. Mark Donnellan had a chance to capitalise further on the scoring front midway through the first half when he found himself one-on-one with the keeper but his effort was marginally to the left of the post. At this stage our lads were purring as Anthony Feeney at left back, Darragh Hansberry at centre back & Eoin Concannon at right back were mopping up any loose ball and were well in charge of proceedings in the rear guard. Michael Flattery then had half a chance from a corner while straight up at the other end, Colemanstown had a bit of a let-off as Tuam hit the post with a massive piledriver. Tuam however refused to wilt and got 1 back before the break after some confusion from the Colemanstown lads when the ref signalled a free kick to Colemanstown but quickly changed his mind and as the free kick was quickly taken by Tuam; Colemanstown were still tracking back to catch up with play and Tuam’s effort took a deflection off a Colemanstown foot which evaded Darragh Roche in the Colemanstown goal. Tuam made it 2-2 in quick succession as a so-called cross from the corner of the field deceived the steady Darragh Roche in a rare lob of the ball. 2-2 at half time. The second half was only 1min old when Eoin Concannon had a good attempt at goal from well out the field and the keeper had to stretch well to save with his feet. Almost immediately as play resumed, Ryan Noone played a beauty into Liam Gormally who still had some work to do before he slotted neatly to the right of the keeper. Colemanstown’s joy was short lived however, as Tuam scored the equaliser almost immediately; their goal originating from a corner which was swung into the danger area and following a goalmouth scramble the ball found the net. Jamie Hession won a free kick soon after his introduction and Sean Hansberry went close with the resultant free which was somehow scrambled off the goal line. Liam Gormally & Michael Flattery combined well as Flattery went close as his effort was not all that far away from the target. Jamie Hession’s immediate impact was noteworthy as his piledriver whizzed the crossbar as Colemanstown were in deep search of grasping a winner. Josh McGuire Greaney & Michael Concannon were worthy substitutions who played their part and tried hard when introduced. Darragh Roche then made a top class save from a bobbling shot that was difficult to hold. With just 5 mins remaining Colemanstown defended three consecutive corners as Eoin Concannon & Darragh Hansberry were particularly dominant in defence; both making vital interceptions late in the game and Roche had the last say as he saved well yet again as Tuam players converged on him but a share of the spoils in Tuam was the fairest outcome as both teams were happy and more importantly deserved a point a piece. To be honest it was an entertaining game as both sets of supporters were enthralled with the end to end action that unfolded on the field. Next up for the U12’s is cup action; dates not yet fixed.

Our U14 team though, were unfortunate as they lost 3-1 to Salthill Devon at home in their latest league outing; an undeserving result in the end.