Promotion Push Persists for A Team

In the modern era of instant news on social media, score lines on other important games can be received instantly. That was the case in Colemanstown on Saturday after our A team did the job beating Maree /Oranmore B 2-0 in their final league game of the season, but all eyes fell on the result of nearest rivals Dynamo Blues who are also well in contention to take 2nd promotion spot. News filtered through that they had a hard earned win in Letterfrack, some 121kms away against West Coast to also keep their chasing hopes alive & well.  A solitary point of a slip up is enough to ensure Colemanstown claim the 2nd promotion spot for top flight football next season.

Colemanstown’s hope for a Blues slip up nearly happened yesterday evening as Blues penultimate league game of the season against arch rivals Tuam Celtic was abandoned on 87mins on a 1-1 scoreline, following an injury to a player whom we wish the best and a speedy recovery.

Colemanstown have really played their part in the most incredible race for 2nd place — nothing has compared to their recent battles where they have shown great consistency in the last number of games. Colemanstown’s final league game on Saturday saw a gutsy performance but they certainly didn’t have it all their own way. The visitors had an early one-on-one chance but Junior made a super stop in goals. Colemanstown’s first chance arrived on 20mins after Padraig Quirke was fouled; the resultant quickly taken free from Damo Wynne found Richie Lally but he blasted over. 2mins later Oranmore were probing towards goal but Alan Finn turned the ball around the post for a corner and was well alert to make a clean fetch at the near post of the resultant corner.

Gareth Lally & Alan Naughton did their best to get on the end of a goalmouth scramble on 25mins but just couldn’t poke the ball over the line. The breakthrough was made on 37mins following a super 1 handed save from Junior & as the ball was worked up the field, a lovely through ball from Luke Williams found Alan Naughton in space and with super accelerated pace he found himself one-on-one with the keeper and finished low into the far corner past the advancing keeper and to rapturous applause from the sizeable Colemanstown contingent.  The visitors created an immediate chance to restore parity but fortunately their striker’s half volley lacked the cutting edge.  Young Tommy Mellody set up Naughton again before the break but the keeper was quick to advance off his line while Naughton did well just before half time, sandwiched between 2 players but still managed to shoot but an easy save for the keeper in the end. 1-0 Half time

3mins after the restart Tommy Mellody worked hard to win a corner which was whipped in from the stand side but Richie was unable to keep his effort down. The next 25mins were tit for tat until the 28th minute when a second Naughton goal summed up his performance. Good work from the hard working Geordan Kenny won a free which was delivered towards the back post by Richie Lally. Naughton stole in the back door and rose highest at the back post to claim his brace. Tommy Mellody & Naughton then teamed up with Geordan Kenny but his effort was drilled well wide.  Just before the final whistle Naughton had the ball in the net again but was adjudged to be offside.  2-0 it finished and the win sees Colemanstown remain well in touch for 2nd place promotion spot but dependant on some sugary good luck elsewhere. This eve the lads are home to Knocknacarra in the QF of the Michael Byrne Cup. KO 7pm. Be there early to get the lovely sun traps