Mullins, Lally & Finn keep ‘A’ team alive

Not many would have put a bet on Colemanstown when they went 3-1 down against 2nd in the table Mervue with 20mins remaining but this team grafted out a superb result at home this evening to share the spoils and certainly were full value for the result. Oh you supporters of little faith (you know who I’m talking about Gary!) who left when Mervue scored their 3rd but these lads don’t give up, bounced back and grafted out a truly deserved 3-3 draw.  In truth, they could have won; they had more chances, worked harder, hassled & harried their opponents putting them under pressure on the ball. Colemanstown capitalised on some early pressure earning some good chances; Ray Moran hesitated to shoot momentarily with an early opportunity while Kevin Reilly’s effort from the edge of the 18’ box was parried out by the keeper. On 21mins Colemanstown opened the scoring as Richie Lally’s free kick was floated into the box and some combined pressure from Squelchy & Paddy Mullins as Mullins finished from close range under the keepers legs to great jubilation from the Colemanstown supporters in the stand. Mervue equalised from the penalty spot after a foul in the box while their striker dispatched his effort straight through the centre. A minute later Mervue were awarded another penalty after Niall Gelston took down the striker and Mervue dispatched the penalty in similar fashion to their first – an exact replica. 2-1 at half time. Colemanstown re-commenced the 2nd half with the same momentum. Alan Finn sent in a lovely cross but Ray Moran’s glancing header hit the side net. Colemanstown then had a let-off after a good Mervue move but thankfully their effort went right across the face of goal. Straight from the kick-out the ball fell to Squelchy but the keeper was quick off his line to crowd out his shot. With 20mins to go Mervue scored their 3rd after switching play across the field and delivered a cross into the danger area while their striker displayed great footwork to finish to the net despite the combined efforts of trio Jayo Finn, Richie Lally & keeper Gelston. With 16mins left Sean Walsh was introduced and made an immediate impact, well maybe not quite ‘immediate’ as his first touch sent the ball out over the line but next to ‘immediate’ . He had a profound effect on the game and was a key pivotal figure as Colemanstown dragged themselves back into the game. 2mins later and the Mervue keeper failed to hold a low hard drive from Alo Finn and the inrushing speedy Gary Lally pounced to send the rebound to the net. It was his first goal this season for the A team and what an evening to score it. At this stage Colemanstown were battling away at the visitors with 10mins to go but a penalty plea from Colemanstown fell on deaf ears after Paddy Mullins was fouled in the area. Richie Lally was denied by a great save after an inch perfect cross from Alo Finn. Colemanstown stepped up the pressure and a corner kick from Alo Finn landed straight in front of goal and as the Mervue boys failed to clear, Jayo Finn who was re-deployed as striker for the latter stages of the game headed home to break Mervue’s hearts with 8 mins to go.  As time was running down, Colemanstown had established an unbelievable momentum and battled in search of the winner right up until the final whistle. Sean Walsh then floated in a cross and a massive drive from Gary Lally was parried out for a corner by the Mervue custodian. In the ensuing pressure Sean Walsh’s header was not too far away when he connected superbly to a Richie Lally corner. Colemanstown were not finished though and another lovely move saw Sean Walsh’s drive deflect off the defenders after a great passage of play involving Paddy Mullins and Jayo Finn. 3-3 it finished; in truth we could have won it but at 3-1 down I’m sure these lads wouldn’t have said ‘No’ to a draw. This result certainly rubbed salt into Mervue’s wounds as table toppers Athenry are now uncatchable which means the premier league trophy will be stationed in Athenry for the next year. It was a great game as manager Gerry Moran utilised his bench to superb effect and hats off to the boys in green who gave it their all. With 2 more games to go, full points are essential. These lads ‘don’t do pressure’. I’m sure Moran will enjoy his game of cards tonight!

Squad: Niall Gelston, Alan Finn, Richie Lally, Lee Murphy, Jayo Finn, Paddy Mullins, Gary Lally, Ray Moran, Ronan Geraghty, Kevin Reilly, Stephen Walsh.

Subs used: Damo Wynne, Sean Walsh & Garry O’Grady.