Mixed Results for U16’s & ‘A’ Team

Our U16’s took on Corrib Celtic at home on Sunday in the Connaught shield. Colemanstown started brightly with chances falling to Keith Murphy and Brian Sweeney but both found it hard to beat Corrib Celtic’s custodian who certainly earned the man of the match accolade. Our first goal came on 10mins scored by Daniel Masterson direct from a corner.Colemanstown lost Brian Sweeney after just 15 minutes in an unfortunate collision with the keeper to add to the injury list of Keith Connell and Paul Lally. Colemanstown went 2 up on 20mins when the hard working Keith Murphy ran the flanks to cross the ball into the six yard box for Kieran Dowd to tap the ball in from close range. Lee Murphy and Aidan Monaghan had a firm grip at midfield doing trojan work in the middle of the park. Lee gave a great through ball to his namesake Keith Murphy who beat two defenders to slot the ball under the advancing keeper to go 3-0 up. The back four of Alan Cannon, Ronan Carr and the very impressive Dylan Kelly and Shane Coleman were super all day.The second half was a much duller affair but Sean Murray was outstanding between the posts with 3 top class saves while Ronan O Neill and Daniel Masterson worked tirelessly throughout the game on both wings. With 15mins left Corrib Celtic were awarded a dubious penalty to give them a life line but Colemanstown picked it up another gear to make it 4-1 when Keith Murphy used all skills possible to beat the defender and round the goalie and polish off what was for him and his team-mates a great individual performance.

Our ‘A’ team were also in action but this was a day to forget for the men in green as the omens were against them from the off. With Jason Finn away on romantic duties, Colemanstown never got going in this league encounter vs. Crumlin. In a lack luster first half Crumlin deservedly went in leading at the break 2.0. After the restart great work from Ritchie Lally in the middle of the park set up a chance which Conor Jackson took to reduce the deficit. Unfortunately it was Crumlin who finished the game stronger and ran out 3-1 winners on the day.