Match Report: Round 1 Connacht Cup vs Achill Rovers

This match report is a bit late going to post but better late than never! Thanks once again to Ronnie Geraghty for the report. Well worth a read.

Our ‘A’ team lost 5-4 on penalties to Achill Rovers last Sunday week in Round 1 of the Connacht Cup, with both teams having played out a 4-4 draw AET.

This was an epic in every sense of the word as Colemanstown showed great character to come from behind 4 times but ultimately the long journey to Achill and Colemanstown’s 2nd week of extra time in the end took its toll. Colemanstown were in control despite a 2 ½ hour bus journey and Sean Walsh, Mossy Carr and Damo Wynne played well in attack while wingers Shane Lally and Jarlath Healy covered alot of ground. Despite Colemanstown’s early dominance we were hit with a counter attack after 25 mins when a long clearance bounced kindly for Achill’s winger to steal in and fire an unstoppable effort past the deputising cup specialist Gareth Lally. Further dominance ensued and Colemanstown were rewarded 10 mins later when Alo Finn whipped in a great cross and Tomas Carr teed up Sean Walsh who fired to the roof of the net from the edge of the area. 1-1 at half time.

10 mins into the 2nd half and yet another counter attack saw the hosts take the lead but 5 mins later an Alo Finn free kick was too hot for their keeper to handle and Damo Wynne smashed home the rebound. Achill were then awarded a penalty on 60 mins and went 3-2 ahead while Colemanstown’s long journey was at this stage beginning to takes its toll and having used all subs available the bodies were starting to feel the effects of the particularly elongated pitch. Despite the tired and lethargic legs the lads played great football in the final 20 minute spell and had the ball for most of that period as they stretched the Achill defence which had retreated almost onto their goal line. Several corners were awarded in that time and for each corner it seemed a gilt edged chance went a-begging before Colemanstown equalised in the 80th minute when Sean Walsh who never gave up, got on the end of a lost cause before lifting a perfect cross onto the head of Stephen Burke who brilliantly headed home.

Extra time was the last thing Colemanstown were crying out for and just 5 minutes in, the lads found themselves behind for the 4th time as yet again the Achill team used the long pitch to their advantage as they broke on the counter to lead 4-3. Not for the first time this season, Colemanstown never gave up and threw everything at Achill……. with 2 minutes to go in the 2nd period of extra time a goal mouth scramble seen Sean Walsh fire home a Conor Jackson knock down but to the frustration of the lads somewhere in the melee the ref seen an infringement and it looked as though that was going to be Colemanstown’s last chance to force spot kicks. However deep into stoppage time a corner from Ronan Geraghty dropped kindly for Conor Jackson to fire home the much deserved 4th equalising goal and so force the game to penalties. Unfortunately the penalty kicks didn’t go our way with just the one miss enough for the hosts to secure their place in the next round.

Colemanstown’s unbeaten run now stretches to 6 games to the start of September and the lads are showing great resilience and character. They deserve huge credit for the level of performance shown after two marathon trips to the Western seaboard and I’m sure they will go to the well again this Sunday as they travel to Loughrea to play the final qualifying round for Galway in the FAI Junior cup. Kick off 2pm. Please support the lads!

Man of the Match: Damo Wynne – he controlled midfield and was a big loss to injury after 70 mins before doing a capable job in goal also.

Squad: Gareth Lally, Stephen Walsh, Conor Jackson, Stehen Burke, Alan Finn, Jarlath Healy, Damien Wynne, Ronan Geraghty, Tomas Carr, Shane Lally, Sean Walsh, Jack Kennedy, Ronan Carr.