Massive point earned by ‘A’ team

Like so many times this season the ‘A’ team looked like they were doomed again, conceding a goal against Mervue with minutes to go, but up popped Ronnie Geraghty to convert from the penalty spot and earn a well deserved share of the spoils in Mervue this morning. This was Ronan Geraghty’s third goal in 4 days and 3 games; having scored for the Reserves on Thursday & Saturday and again for the ‘A’ team today; a fine achievement in itself. This result was a testament to the strength in depth of the team and their character. In truth, Colemanstown clawed their way out of a hole thanks in the main to Jason Finn who won the peno & the man himself who duly converted it. It was no more than they deserved in tough, breezy, cold, wintery playing conditions. Colemanstown played against a strong gale in the first half and showed great aggression, spirit & vital resilience from the word ‘go’. Gary Lally had a great chance in the first half when Ronan Geraghty put him through one-on-one with the goalie but the Mervue custodian made a good stop with his arm and as the momentum of the ball was carrying it over the line, a defender came out of nowhere to clear the ball off the line. Immediately up the other end, Mervue hit the post and as the ball rebounded back into play, it was cleared by our resolute rearguard: central defenders Jayo Finn & Conor Jackson with Lee Murphy at right back & Alo Finn on the left. In the 2nd half, although Colemanstown had the wind at their backs, it was Mervue who came more into the game. As the game progressed, they piled on the pressure; hitting the post on another occasion but our steadfast defence were resolute and the entire team were putting up a great fight.  It looked like the game was heading for a goalless draw but then all the drama came in the last 5 minutes. A low ball from the left  from Mervue across the face of the box found their striker who got a touch on it to turn it into the goal. Ah no we didn’t deserve this. Then moments later, a short kick out from Mervue was headed on by Jason Finn; fell to Ray Moran who knocked it on again to Jayo Finn who had followed through on the ball and found himself one-on-one with the keeper, only to be taken down by the keeper who was sent to the line by the ref. The substitute keeper had no chance in stopping Ronnie’s precise, crisp finish, although he did guess the right way.  So a great turnaround in fortune for the ‘A’ team and a vital well earned point.

Meanwhile our B teams league game vs Kinvara yesterday was called off due to a snow laden pitch which caused waterlogging and thus an unplayable surface.