Mark Donnellan’s header wins it for U15’s

A wonderful crowd of about 40 people including our special guest for the day, Gerry Moran turned out in driving rain and windswept conditions to see our U15s beat unbeaten Kinvara in a tight game in Colemanstown yesterday. The game began as a very tight and hard fought contest with Kinvara perhaps edging the first half in terms of possession, but when it came to chances it was the visitors who created the better ones as they hit the post while the ball also smacked off the underside of the crossbar in the 2nd half. Colemanstown were lucky to graft the win and in fairness, that never say die attitude, ‘never give up’ and ‘play til the final whistle’ is well instilled in these lads by manager David Gilligan and assistant Philip Dee.  This tenacity and attitude reaped dividends as a late header by Mark Donnellan was enough for these boys to well earn a win and claim all 3 points in this latest league contest.

Conor Moran had the first chance after Micháel Ryan & Mark Donnellan were involved in the move. But it was Kinvara who were first to score on 4mins when a long ball over the top was held up somewhat in the strong wind and as Jayo Connolly was slow to pounce off his line, the Kinvara striker’s pace carried him through and he tapped into an empty net putting Colemanstown on the back foot. Sean Hansberry did well to win a corner which was whipped in by Moran and left back Conor Byron did his best to bundle the ball over the line with his knees but to no avail. Just on the 15min mark as a goal looked certain for the Kinvara boys, the ball was whipped off the goal line by Luke Lally without any fuss. Then as Colemanstown won a corner which was taken by Conor Moran, big Sean Hansberry was fouled in the box and Buddy pointed to the penalty spot and a yellow card was dished out to the offender. Up stepped Ryan Noone to take the spot kick only to uncharacteristically blast wide and fail to trouble the Kinvara keeper.  Half time: Kinvara 1; Colemanstown 0.

7 mins into the 2nd half, a cross from Conor Moran was met by Sean Hansberry and as he rounded the keeper a goal looked to be on the cards but somehow Kinvara kept the ball out. In the ensuing play as the ball was whipped back in, it deflected off the Kinvara defender and into his own net to level matters. It was no more than Colemanstown deserved for the pulsating battle they put in as the skies opened up and the rain lashed down. Colemanstown received a massive let off 15 mins into the 2nd half as Kinvara broke on the counter attack and fired a massive effort at goal only for the ball to thunder off the post. Mark Donnellan fed Sean Hansberry who in turn found Ryan Noone who shot as he was falling over and his effort was blasted over. The ball then thundered off the underside of the crossbar as Jayo Connolly knew little about its whereabouts. As Colemanstown searched for the equaliser, Mark Donnellan’s cross from the right to Ryan Noone was just inches away for Noone’s attempted header. With just minutes left on the clock Conor Moran worked space for a cross which met the head of Mark Donnellan who had ghosted in on the edge of the 6’box and headed home the winner to absolute rapturous applause. Colemanstown had to live a nervy last few minutes as Kinvara searched for that elusive equaliser but in fairness to our defence of Micháel Ryan, Dara Hansberry, Luke Lally & Conor Byron and assisted by Mike Kelly, they defended superbly as Kinvara ran out of ideas and time and just couldn’t pull the game out of the fire.

The day was emphatically Colemanstowns as they remain unbeaten with 6 league wins out of 6 and 24 goals scored. Well done lads although the last few minutes was heart attack material. This win will give Colemanstown great confidence going into the Christmas break.

Squad: Jason Connolly, Micháel Ryan, Dara Hansberry, Luke Lally, Conor Byron, Mark Donnellan, Mike Kelly, Sean Hansberry, Conor Moran, Ryan Noone, Michael Flattery, Fionn O’Connor, Declan O’Brien, Josh McGuire-Greaney, Darragh Diskin.