Kennedy’s hat-trick for U14s & Masters flying performance

Colemanstown U14s 3 – Kinvara 0
Cathal Kennedy beat Kinvara 3-0 in a top of the table clash against Kinvara in lovely Kinvara on Saturday. This commanding win allows Colemanstown to top the pole for now at least. Indeed Cathal scored his hat-trick but everyone else chipped in with great donkey work too. Colemanstown were fastest out of the blocks in this game with early chances falling to Kyle Madden but they all veered left of the left post. The breakthrough was made on 8mins when a long delivery from Jonah Donnellan at the back saw Cathal Kennedy run into space and finding himself with only the keeper to beat, he maintained his nerve to slot inside the right post.

A free kick floated in by Kinvara on the quarter hour mark saw Fionn Flattery make the first of his string of super saves on the day.  As the half progressed, Kinvara came more into it and timely interceptions first by Sean Connolly & then Josh Buckely at the opportune time were vital when Kinvara threatened on goal. Kinvara had another effort but Fionn Flattery as cool as a breeze chaperoned the ball out wide. Cathal Kennedy made it 2-0 on 25mins with an exact replica of his 1st , a through ball from Jonah Donnellan towards the left flank and with some work to do he finished a delicious effort inside the right post.  A free kick from the hosts was fetched by the safe hands of Fionn Flattery and he went down well in an ensuing Kinvara attack to make another fine stop. Cathal Kennedy had another effort before the break after Dylan Murphy did a lot of the hard work, squared across to Cathal but this time he blasted over.  2-0 at half time.

Within a minute of the restart Kyle Madden had another chance as Conor Walsh provided the pass. Colemanstown received a let off as a goal looked ominous for Kinvara but the effort was swiped across the face of goal. Cathal Kennedy was in a right mood and tried his luck from a long way out but drew a super save from Kinvara’s keeper.  Kennedy went for the jugular & claimed his hat trick on 55mins when he had the legs and the pace to get on the end of a super Diarmuid Ryan clearance & held his nerve to beat the keeper and keep the match ball in the process. Fionn Flattery maintained a clean sheet with another super save, almost definitely his best of the day as he could only have seen it at the last minute in a crowded box. With 3 mins to go, Kinvara were awarded a penalty for a foul in the box and Flattery showed great composure & agility to make a super stop.

It was a brilliant performance by the lads who were also missing a few regulars. Josh Buckley, Conor Walsh (2nd half) & Sean Connolly were particularly effective in the corners in defence while Diarmuid Ryan & Ross Lally never put a foot wrong.  Jamie Nutley & Cathal Hynes drifted into roomy pockets in midfield for the whole game.  The lads were thrilled with the result and there were also parallel celebrations on the sideline by the team of Mams led by Team Grainne with Tony, Michael & latecomer John also in the mix for good measure. Well done lads on a great show.  1 more game to play against Barna Furbo this Wednesday, 30th, with a later than normal KO of 8:15pm.

Squad: Fionn Flattery. Josh Buckely, Diarmuid Ryan, Ross Lally, Sean Connolly, Jamie Nutley, Jonah Donnellan, Cathal Hynes, Cathal Kennedy, Dylan Murphy, Kyle Madden, Conor Walsh.

Colemanstown Masters 3 – Strokestown 0
The O-35’s clocked their first win in the RDFL Masters League with a fine performance at home yesterday evening against Strokestown & don’t say these lads don’t take the game serious…. It was as competitive as you’d get.  3-0 the final score but in truth, it could have been much more. The one armed bandit, Paul O’Connor was in a right good mood all evening and had the first chance of the night on 6mins when he latched onto a long kick out from Kevin Sayers but his effort failed to dip on time.  O’Connor was in on the act again moments later after good work from the versatile Alan Walsh at left back, added to by Mark Kirby who stuck the leg out & O’Connor drew a good save from the keeper.  10mins in the breakthrough was made when Rob Byrne won a free kick in midfield which was floated in by Gary Broderick, bounced nicely for Mark Kirby who had an easy header to finish.  After a rare slip up by Colemanstown in defence, Strokestown had the ball in the net but were adjudged to be off side.  Barry Donnellan sporting his new skins to help the hammer injury, was fouled & Kenny Duane took the free which was tipped over the crossbar by the keeper. On 28mins Barry Donnellan won a penalty which was dispatched well by Paul O’Connor inside the left post. Sayers was called to make another good stop as Prince Philip was introduced – this lad thinks he’s togging for Galway Utd with the maroon socks and black togs. In the ensuing play a vital interception by Adrian ‘Gurt’ Burke gave Ross time behind him to fix the new comb over hairstyle while the tenacious Gary Broderick held his own in right corner after receiving a nice lease of life from Pfizer this week & Liam Flannery’s engine must have had an oil change mid-week. Not alone can ‘Gurt’ manage the running of the club, but he’s a dab hand at managing the back line too. Just before the break the visitors had a good chance but the effort was sprayed across the face of the goal and well wide.  Half Time 2-0.

Strokestown had a good effort straight after the restart but the ball failed to dip under Sayers crossbar. Strokestown had another good chance after a rare slip up by the no-nonsense Cian O’Toole at the back and as Cian was left sitting on the grass watching play proceed, the goal bound effort was saved by the mighty Sayers in goal. Goal 3 came on 50mins as Barry Donnellan broke down the stand side of the field, whipped in his cross and Mark Kirby headed in from close range much to the delight of Keelyn. Colemanstown’s next chance originated through Adrian Burke who found Kenny Duane & the spring lamb’s inch perfect pass to Prince Philip Dee who tried his luck with a super strike but the keeper made a brilliant save. It was a pity it didn’t find the net as it would have been a goal worth talking about for some time to come. From here on, the Colemanstown lads took charge. A throw ball from Alan Walsh found Niall Cunningham who worked the ball up the line to O’Connor but the keeper advanced off his line to drown out the effort.  Paul O’Connor again had his shooting boots on and had another attempt at goal; this time Ross Sullivan the provider of the cross in a rare wander up the other half of the field, but O’Connor’s effort was drilled high and not very handsome. O’Connor had another effort which looked to have found the net but it swerved dangerously past the post after great work from Alan Walsh & Mark Kirby on the left flank. Niall Cunningham had a good chance after great work from Barry Forde & O’Connor & then Kirby lined up for his effort but it seemed like he was aiming for the light pole on the roadside pitch instead of the goal! Sayers then found Barry Donnellan under the stand, worked his way towards the corner flag like a Ferrari and shot from the edge of the 18’ box but it was an easy save for the keeper.  Marcus Malone was next to take a pop at goal after Kenny Duane & Barry Forde were involved in play and the ball was squared across to Marcus who drilled the ball well over.  With 3mins to go, Barry Donnellan tried to lob the keeper but his effort ended up at the roller door of the old clubhouse instead. 3-0 final score as the lads showed plenty of flair and could easily have bagged a few more goals.

Squad: Kevin Sayers, Alan Walsh, Ross Sullivan, Cian O’Toole, Gary Broderick, Kenny Duane, Adrian Burke, Rob Byrne, Liam Flannery, Mark Kirby, Paul O’Connor,  Barry Donnellan, Barry Forde, Niall Cunningham, Marcus Malone, Philip Dee.   It was great to see the banter generated & the fun had on the pitch by both sides. We wait in anticipation for next week , we might see a classic from Prince Philip as he threatened coming off the field ‘3rd time lucky’. Hopefully we will see Kerrill Lally returned soon after convalescing from a recent double hip replacement.