Injury hit ‘A’ team exit Michael Byrne Cup

Niall Rohan of the A team management quartet gives a great rundown on the ‘A’ team’s performance against Maree/ Oranmore at the weekend.

Colemanstown exited the Michael Byrne Cup with a round 2 defeat to premier league side Maree/Oranmore on Saturday. As with all Galway FA fixtures last weekend a minutes silence was held paying respect to Galway FA committee member Pat McCann.

With a few regular starters missing this was a good opportunity for some of the younger members of the squad to showcase their talent. Stand in goalkeeper Edmund Flannery had to be alert straight from the off with Maree/Oranmore forcing the pace and getting some early chances aided by a strong breeze.  Colemanstown soaked up the early pressure to create attacks through the middle with Mossy Carr and Alan Finn and out wide by Geordan Kenny and Conor O Neill.  

The strong breeze in the first half seemed to give Maree/Oranmore a 12th man with Colemanstown finding it hard to get on the ball and get out of their own half. With our back four of David Mullins, Jason Finn, Conal Doherty and Ronan Carr holding strong, our odds of advancing were dealt a major blow with injuries to goalkeeper Flannery and centre half Finn. Conal Doherty, not for the first time this season obliged with seeing the game out in goal. He was immediately called into action when he came off his line bravely to close down an oncoming striker but ended up unlucky to concede a penalty which was expertly converted to his left. 5 minutes later Maree/Oranmore dispatched a second to leave the home team 2 nil up at half time.

The game restarted with the wind dying down to a whimper and that together with yet another injury to the squad this time Alan Finn, a comeback looked ever impossible. An impressive spell of attacking by the hosts throughout the 2nd half saw them add 3 more by the 80th minute. Colemanstown’s best chances fell to Dylan Grady whose one on one effort went narrowly wide and Conor O Neill who was denied by the upright after a great run into the box from deep.

Tomas Flannery playing in a deeper role than usual also was unlucky with a couple of efforts. Geordan Kenny did take the bad look off the scoreboard, and after his hard work throughout the 2nd half was rewarded with a goal with some great footwork in the box.

Overall a disappointing day out but with injuries and no regular keeper available the writing was on the wall and this was always going to be an uphill task. It was great to see appearances from Damien Wynne, Sean Walsh and Robbie Lally along with club stalwart Garry O’Grady helping out our injury hit squad. Massive congratulations must go to Garry and Deirdre on the recent birth of their son.

Next week sees Roscommon FA side Dysart FC come to town to compete for the Connaught Shield. All support is much appreciated 

Squad: Edmund Flannery, Jason Finn, Conal Doherty, Ronan Carr, David Mullins, Tomas Flannery, Mossy Carr, Alan Finn, Conor O’Neill, Geordan Kenny, Dylan Grady, Robbie Lally, Damien Wynne, Stephen Rabbitte, Sean Walsh, Garry O Grady.

Match report by Niall Rohan