Hat trick hero Ryan Noone paves the way for U13’s

The Galway International car rally and road closures were not going to stop our U13’s making the long spin to Oughterard yesterday morning to square up to an Oughterard outfit as our lads refused to be overawed by the physicality of the opposition. The first half was 50/50 with both teams having moments of dominance but it was the hosts who snatched a shock early opener on 5mins when Oughterard’s big physical midfielder ran through the middle and unleashed an unstoppable shot from 18yards into the top corner. Ryan Noone changed the story though 5mins later when Liam Gormally put him through on goal and his right footed strike was superbly finished from 15yards. On 20mins Colemanstown went 2-1 up thanks to a long ball from Conor Moran at the back which put Ryan Noone through on the right side of the field and as Ryan ran threw on goal, he drilled a low hard shot across the goal into the far corner. Colemanstown then began to exercise a degree of control but this was quashed just before half time when Oughterard restored parity with a fluky goal which bobbled across the face of goal and as Jason Connolly in goal looked to usher it wide it took a deflection off the post and over the line. 2-2 at half time. The 2nd half was a complete nip and tuck affair with both defences on top until 10minutes to go. Oughterard then made it 3-2 with a smashing left footed free kick from the right side of the field which curled into the top corner, albeit Jason Connolly got his fingers to it but there was too much power on it to stop it. The game was far from over though as a dramatic finale was on the cards. Michael Flattery won a free kick after he was bundled over; the long delivery sent in by Conor Moran bobbled around in the box and Ryan Noone volleyed home from close range for that perfect execution to level matters. Sean Hansberry had a chance right at the death to steal a win with a thunderous drive from 25yards but the keeper saved well. A draw was probably the fairest result as both teams left with a hard earned point.
Ryan Noone was man of the match and stood out, not alone for his hat trick but add to that his passing, dribbling, turning, hard work and superb first touch. Jason Connolly did well in goals while right back Michael Ryan who was particularly to the fore managed to play on despite a clash of heads and ended up in hospital. We wish him a speedy recovery. Dara Hansberry and Conor Moran’s long deliveries from defence relieved us on a few occasions while Eoin Concannon at left back denied the Oughterard strikers the space to shoot. Young Anthony Feeney showed experience well beyond his years while the other 3 midfielders, big Sean Hansberry, Michael Flattery and Ryan Noone were a revelation. Liam Gormally and Conor Byron up front did alot of hard work keeping the attack moving throughout the game. Dara Roche also did mighty work after his introduction holding up the ball well and hassling the Oughterard lads making life difficult for them while Josh McGuire-Greaney also got to sample the game before the finish. Next weekend sees these lads play Corofin in round 1 of the Divisional Cup away on Saturday at 09:45am KO.
Well done also to our U11’s and their mentors Robbie Parker and Jason Finn who were put to the test against a strong Loughrea side on a bitterly cold morning yesterday. We fielded 2 teams who played 2 games apiece. Amongst the goal scorers were: David Walsh, Jonah Donnellan, Adam Cleary & Cathal Kennedy.