Hard fought 1-0 win for A Team

Ollie Crowe of the ‘A’ team management quartet put pen to paper this weekend to paint a picture of our ‘A’ team’s mighty league win against Tuam Celtic on Saturday. I think the quartet are having a battle between themselves on these match reports!!  Re-live the game below:

They were saying that the Boys in Green showed great heart and determination during the week against Switzerland. Well that was only a patch on the honesty and commitment shown by our A Team on Saturday 7th, against a strong Tuam Celtic team. The clubhouse was a hive of activity with both our under 14 and under 12 teams having games, leading to a great atmosphere at kick off. Colemanstown started well, dominating the opening ten minutes, in terms of possession and chances created. However, Tuam Celtic slowly came into the game, applying great pressure for the rest of the half. Colemanstown’s boys defended brilliantly, not offering the opposition any clear cut chances, despite numerous attacks from the away side.

Colemanstown’s centre halves, Jason Finn and Conal Docherty, were rock solid and very disciplined, aided by very steady full back play from David Mullins and Alan Finn.  Fresh from the disappointment of Saturday night’s over 35s cup final defeat, veteran Kevin Sayers was very assured in goals, pulling off a fine save in the 20th minute from a tight angle. The defensive midfield engine of Gareth Lally, Tomas Carr and Robbie Lally combined well to soak up the relentless first half pressure. James Barclay and Geordan Kenny worked tirelessly on the wings and certainly helped in their defenseless duties. Tom Flannery ran himself into the ground in a difficult lone role up front, showing his usual industry, craft and technique, in creating three long range chances for himself. It has to be said, though, Colemanstown were happy to go in at half time at nil all.

In the second half the hosts were able to apply more pressure to the Tuam defence. Both wingers and midfielders were able to assist the tireless work of Tom Flannery upfront. On 55 minutes Tomas Carr can count himself very unlucky for not being awarded a penalty, as can Alan Finn, five minutes later. Pressure from Colemanstown led to a great chance for James Barclay on 65 minutes, from close range. Second half substitute, Padraig Quirke, who also played in the Over 35s cup final, the evening before, called well from an Alan Finn cross, but his header went wide of the post.  On 70 minutes, Tom Flannery had another close long range shot that wasn’t far off the target. Alan Finn was moved further up the field  and began to increase the pressure on the Tuam right back. Kevin Sayers kick outs were proving a handful for their defense. 

Tuam also had their moments. A rare mix up in defence led to a half chance on 70 minutes, but thankfully the Tuam striker’s effort was off target. At this stage, both sides may have settled for a draw. Tuam’s cause wasn’t helped, however, when they had a man sent off for abusive language. That’s when Colemanstown’s boys smelled victory. They dug in for the last 15 minutes in a final push to claim all 3 points. The fresh legs of Shane Lally, Niall Cunningham and Sean Walsh helped the cause. With 5 minutes on the clock, Mr. Geordan Kenny produced his moment of magic. After receiving a long pass from Gareth Lally, he ran at the Tuam full back. With very little space and time, he curved a perfect pass, with the outside of his boot, into the onrushing Tom Flannery. Everyone urged Flan to shoot. Tom had other ideas. He faked a shot, cut onto his left, and curled a sweet strike past the helpless Celtic keeper. Needless to say the place erupted both in the stands and on the sidelines. Our defence held solid, as they did all day, to hold out for a massive three points.

With 6 out of 9 points, the team’s momentum is steadily building, though lots of hard work will be needed to maintain a drive to the top of the table. We couldnt ask for anything more from the lads yesterday. What character to show, after the midweek defeat to Mervue. Well done boys, especially to our unused subs, Edmund Flannery and Damian Wynne. Nice to see our injured players, John O’Brien, Ronan Carr and Conor Jackson helping their team from the sidelines. Maybe Jason and Alan could go on holidays every week, if they return with such great performances! Special mention must go to our kitman, waterboy and general assistant, Conor Moran for his dedication to his club. One for the future, no doubt.

Thanks again to our social media team of Johnny Lally, Jason Finn and ​Laura Parker, for their hard work. Hope everyone continues to share and like the updates and match reports. Thanks to the committee for the morning’s painting, gardening and clean up.  Barely able to speak, co-manager, Gary Devaney presented the August player of the month award to goalkeeper Kevin Sayers, after the match. Kevin hasn’t stopped smiling since!