Gallant U12s bow out of Connacht Cup

Colemanstown U12 Boys lost 1-0 to Sligo side Coolaney United in the 3rd round of the Connacht Cup in Colemanstown yesterday afternoon.  It was a heavy pitch for football but certainly was a cracking game from the outset with the visitors taking to the dressing room to change into a brand new Black Jako strip for the game with plenty of photos taken as they lined up on the pitch. Soon after both teams and management were called to the centre circle for a minutes silence as a mark of respect for Tullamore teacher Ashling Murphy who was killed in such terrible circumstances during the week.

The game was only a minute old when those new Coolaney jerseys got muddy in what was a very physical game from the first whistle. Early chances fell to Darren Quirke but with a slow pitch, shots from 15 yards out were never going to trouble either keeper this afternoon. Joshua Lualdi was instrumental is setting up numerous 1st half chances and laid off 2 beauties to Keelyn Kirby and Thomas Screene respectively. Riain Donohue stepping in as captain yesterday was offering an overlap with Joshua throughout the first half and after 5 separate crosses swung in by Riain on the right it was clear that Coolaney’s No.2 was instructed to do only one task…clear the ball… anywhere!!

Nine corners were awarded to the Colemanstown boys in the first half alone and such was the frequency the boys decided to swap the responsibility between them to save their legs from tiring. John Parker was only asked to clean up ball at the back and easily distributed balls out to Davy Barrett, his brother Dermot Parker and Adam Devaney. Only once was he called into action with an 18 yard screamer but his height made it loom easy when catching the ball as it whizzed by Davy Barrett’s ear. 0-0 at the break and the boys took on water with some frustration. Coolaney took to the dressing room and were definitely more relieved to hear the half-time whistle.

Caolan O’Neill and Scott Donoghue came on at half time to strengthen the attacking combinations but it was Coolaney who latched on to a long ball over the top and only a fine save from John Parker prevented the effort getting slotted away. Unfortunately the ball rebounded to the onrushing No.8 who smashed the ball past John as he tried to regain goal position from his earlier grounding.
The boys were in disbelief and then came at least 15 chances combined with 11 second half corners. At this stage it became impossible to keep track on who was getting the next chance and with the introduction of Daniel Booth to come on for the injured Adam Devaney and Cathal Maybin, the defence was never in any threat of being breached again. Finian Walsh came on to freshen up the attack and Adam Kenny came on to provide the link needed between defence build-up for the attack. But yet the side netting was getting hammered time after time and in the end Coolaney just wanted to get to Supermacs in Ballindine without getting slaughtered. The boys tapped fists after the final whistle in complete disbelief but we can begin to see why Coolaney are top of Div B in Sligo with a strong resolve and a no nonsense approach at the back.
Final Score Colemanstown United 0 – 1 Coolaney United.  Match Report by: Robbie Parker