Colemanstown U14’s suffer league setback

Our depleted U14’s travelled to Drom yesterday to take on Salthill Devon in an entertaining league affair. The game started well as both sides passed the ball about to good effect in a tit for tat game. Jason Connolly was called into action on 15mins with a great save after a good move from Salthill. Michéal Ryan had a good run down the flank but his effort was saved at the butt of the post by Salthill’s custodian. Ryan Noone originated the move which led to our goal as he throttled down the wing, crossed to Conor Byron who hit the butt of the post, only for the rebound to fall to the aforementioned Noone who made no mistake in finding the net on 21mins. Ryan Noone then capitalised on a poor kick out and found himself one-on-one with the keeper only to shoot wide much to his own disgust. Mark Donnellan then put the speedy Ryan Noone through but his effort was turned around the post by Salthill’s keeper. Salthill had a chance from a corner which was headed over but equalised on 29mins through a mistake at the back and although the play looked offside, the goal stood as the ball was squeezed over the line. Mark Donnellan had an effort before the break which took a deflection off the Salthill defenders to keep the score 1-1 at the break.

Our first real chance of the 2nd half fell to Ryan Noone 20mins in as Jason Connolly’s free from the back found the inrushing Ryan Noone but somehow the ball got lodged under his feet and the keeper was quick off his line to smother Noone’s strike at goal. Conor Moran then had an effort but slipped as he was about to kick the ball and didn’t get the same power behind his effort. Then, Salthill’s mighty effort from out near the corner flag was well held by Jason Connolly. Just as Colemanstown were getting creative, we suffered a sucker blow as Ryan Noone’s red card cast a shadow over the rest of the game for Colemanstown and an uphill battle to hold on. From then to the end and Salthill upped the pressure and were rewarded with a well taken goal, what proved to be the winner, when our rearguard failed to clear. With 8mins to go Liam Gormally had a great chance to equalise when a Conor Moran free kick fell kindly for him but his strike was not too far over the crossbar. The game petered out in the final stages as we were chasing the game and the equaliser, which we probably deserved, looked difficult to find.

In the end the game was abandoned with 4 mins left to play after defender Darragh Roche suffered 2 fractures to his ankle when he drew full force on a ball at the same time as an opposing player and came out the wrong side as a result. The injury left young Darragh lying on the ground for over 10mins while the medical staff from Salthill and the mentors from both teams tried to administer treatment.  The match was abandoned with Salthill awarded the points for the win. We can only compliment John Brennan & Conor Byrne from Salthill Devon who were exceptional in their dealing of the injured player. We wish Darragh a speedy recovery.

Panel: Jason Conolly, Darragh Roche, Dara Hansberry, Liam Molloy, Conor Byron, Michéal Ryan, Conor Moran, Michael Kelly, Michael Flattery, Mark Donnellan, Ryan Noone, Liam Gormally, Darragh Diskin.

Next week, our U14’s take on Tuam Celtic in Tuam on Saturday morning at 10.30am.