Colemanstown A 1; Knocknacarra 4

It was a bad day out for our 1st team in rain soaked Cappagh Park on Sunday morning but Garry O’Grady fills us in on the game nonetheless.
With the squad badly depleted through injuries, Colemanstown were weakened in a couple of areas;  most notably our goalkeeper Kevin Sawyers and credit must go to Niall Cunningham who took on the unenviable task of standing between the posts and did not let us down on the day.  The early exchanges were dominated by Knocknacarra as Colemanstown struggled to adjust to the 5G AstroTurf surface. Colemanstown’s defence stood firm as Colemanstown did manage to create a chance of their own through some industrious work by Padraig Quirke on the right who managed to send in a cross in to the box. Tom Flannery stretched to get on the end of it but could only manage a glancing header which subsequently took it away from the on rushing Mossy Carr at the back post.

Knocknacarra’s first goal came on 34 minutes after some good build play leading to their striker drilling a low shot which Niall Cunningham could only parry to the roof of the net. Shortly after the restart, our deputising right back Robbie Lally added to our injury woes and had to be replaced by Damien Wynne. Wynne added an extra attacking dimension to the right on his introduction and Colemanstown enjoyed their best spell of the half.  We were hit by a sucker punch just on half time when a break down the right lead to a low cross being met by the Knocknacarra winger who drove it to the net.

The second half started in a similar vein to the first and Knocknacarra got a killer goal 10mins in.  In a similar build up to their second, a well struck cross from the right was decisively met by the on rushing head of the attacker to finish to the net.

This sparked a mini revival from the Colemanstown men and were rewarded on 74mins when Sean Walsh despatched a low shot to the keeper’s left. It was hard to decipher whether Knocknacarra took their foot off the gas or Colemanstown upped the intensity but in the closing exchanges Colemanstown created enough chances to draw level. Tom Flannery was again on the end of most good things we created and he was unlucky from two free kicks, hit the post with a header and brought another good save out of the Knocknacarra keeper. Geordan Kenny’s industrious play was rewarded with a chance that was snuffed out by the Knocknacarra keeper. With Colemanstown focusing on the attack, they were hit for a fourth with a delayed defensive clearance, which was seized on by the Knocknacarra attackers and with the defence stretched they finished to the net.

It was a bad day out for the Colemanstown lads but they have to be commended for their never say die attitude which they kept going right to the final whistle even with the scoreline against them. It showed the great spirit of this bunch who will only improve as the season progresses. Special thanks again to Niall Cunningham for taking on the goal keeper’s role, doing a great job for the team. Next Sunday sees the visit of West Coast Utd for Round 1 of the Connacht Junior Cup.