Boys Weekend Action

Colemanstown U18’s 4 – 1 Athenry. Premier league.

Colemanstown started their third league match of the season in flying form away to Athenry on Wednesday evening on astro. They found themselves 1-0 up after 90 seconds with a goal involving almost all players on the pitch and 20+ passes which culminated with a cross finished off st the back post by Thomas Mellody. Colemanstown continued to dominate possession and upped the tempo for the first half.  Our second goal arrived from what some might suggest was a cross-shot. Excellent play down the left from Tiarnan Lohan and Harry Mitchell worked its way to Thomas Mellody whose effort deceived the keeper and made its way to the top corner. 

With Colemanstown on fire at this stage, our third goal came from some intrigant passing between the midfield trio of Aironas Kantausskas, Tiarnan Proulx and Jason Rabbitte ended up with Thomas Mellody  getting on the end of a through ball which he finished nicely to claim his Hat trick by half time.  Half time 3-0. 

Colemanstown were not quite as dominant in the 2nd half but still shared the majority of the ball. Our fourth goal came when a Kyle Madden effort from 25 yards rebounded off the crossbar and fell to Jason Rabbitte who precisely finished with his right foot. With 10 mins left, Athenry scored a consolation goal through a long range effort but overall Colemanstown were quite comfortable throughout as they claimed their second league win of the season. Full time: Colemanstown 4- 1 Athenry.   Match report by Jason Finn 

Squad: Fionn Flattery, Ciaran Keating, Jonah Donnellan, Tiarnan Lohan, Jason Rabbitte, Aironas Kantauskas, Tiarnan Proulx, Tommy Mellody, Jack Dillon, Harry Mitchell, Eanna Burke, Aaron Comar, Jack Jordan, Kyle Madden, Luke Wilbur. 

Colemanstown U16s 3 – 1 Kinvara Div1 

The opening moments of this latest league game played in Colemanstown today saw Kinvara begin like a team intent. They forced some early corners as they fired an early warning but Colemanstown’s back four: Nathan Mannion, Tommie Muldoon, Conor Walsh &. Tyler Collins were rock steady alongside Sean Cooke in goals. Both teams knew each other fairly well having played some tight encounters over the last few seasons with little or nothing between the sides but Colemanstown wiped that memory today.  It took about 20mins for both teams to acclimatise to each other as Colemanstown sustained the early pressure & started to dominate. Then on 20mins the breakthrough was made. Nathan Mannion was fouled and Conor Walsh squared up to take the free just inside in his own half. He lifted a perfect delivery into the area which was contested in the air by Josh Buckley & the free went over everyone’s heads and straight into the net.  At this stage, Colemanstown played some good passing football as the midfield trio Cathal Keane, Josh Buckley, & Mathew Keane linked up well together, while also tracking back to help out in defence while Eibhear Colleran took the ball forward brilliantly.  Just before the break, Colemanstown went 2-0 up. Matthew Keane floated in a free kick from the right towards the left corner. Roggie hooked a cross into a crowded box where Conor Walsh was lurking with mischievous intent and he found enough space to finish to the bottom corner & in doing so claimed his brace before the break.  Half time: 2-0

Kinvara restarted by creating early chances as Sean Cooke had to be on top of his game. However, it was Colemanstown who extended their lead, possibly against the run of play when a goal kick from Conor Walsh was delivered long to Darren Moran on the right wing & he displayed some fancy footwork to skip by his man, spotted the keeper rushing out of his goal & lobbed him from 35yards out for a tonic goal. For much of the 2nd half, Colemanstown were camped in Kinvaras half of the field, however Kinvara managed to create plenty of meaningful chances but our defence stood solid strengthened by Joshua McDonnell & Ronan Screene who worked hard on the left & Jamie Lally tried hard up front. Sean Keating also played his part in the latter stages. The only blot on the Colemanstown copybook came late in the game when Kinvara clawed one back with 10 mins to play as they finished strong in search of goals but there was simply no way through with Colemanstown largely in control of the match throughout.  3-1 it finished to the hosts in tough underfoot conditions. 

Squad: Sean Cooke, Nathan Mannion, Tommie Muldoon, Conor Walsh, Tyler Collins, Cathal Keane, Josh Buckley, Matthew Keane, Tomas Rogerson, Eibhear Colleran, Darren Moran, Joshua Buckley, Ronan Screene, Jamie Lally, Sean Keating, Dylan King, Niall Grady. 

Colemanstown U12’s 1 – 6 Merlin Woods Div2 

Our U12 boys were back in action this weekend, lead by this weeks Captain Iarlaith Griffin, embarked on their fifth league match, this time at home against top of the table, Merlin Woods. Colemanstown found themselves in the first half playing into a low sun. The game was hard with good play from both sides. Caelan Noone, into Keelan Murray releasing Thomas Kennedy but the Merlin Woods defence stood strong. Colemanstown’s backline with Marc Scarry, Daniel O’Dea, Sean Forde and Caelan Noone found themselves under pressure and with seven minutes gone, Merlin Woods scored. The pressure play of Merlin Woods had Colemanstown chasing the rest of the half but there were some line breaks from Sean Forde, picking up Oran Cosgrove and Richie O’Connor. Iarlaith Griffin in goals, was in action throughout with some tremendous saves. Tim Ruane came in for Oran Cosgrove after picking up an ankle injury. There were some tough battles in the centre with Keelan Murray and Richie O’Connor fighting for the ball but the half time whistle was welcome with Merlin Woods in the lead 0-5.

Colemanstown made some changes with Conor Saunders coming in for Daniel O’Dea and Tommy Gooney in for Marc Scarry. Colemanstown found great strength and will as both teams battled hard in a tough second half. With tens minutes gone, Iarlath Griffin’s kick out found midfield and onto Thomas Kennedy who found the Merlin Woods net. The score now stood at 1-5 to Merlin Woods. Jayden Monahan came in for Thomas Kennedy up front and the game played from end to end. Colemanstown with the sun behind them, pushed hard with Richie O’Connor narrowly missing the net a few times. Merlin Woods made a strong push forward, a tight battle in the box resulted but another goal for Merlin Woods. With 15 minutes to go, Colemanstown brought in some fresh legs with George Costello in for Sean Forde, Oisin Flannery onto the wing for Keelan Murray and James Kilkenny in for Tim Ruane. A hard fought, more evenly matched second half with a goal each. Final whistle resulted to a score of: Colemanstown 1 – 6 Merlin Woods.   Match report by Brian Saunders 

Squad: Iarlaith Griffin (cap), Oran Cosgrove, Sean Forde, Caelan Noone, Daniel O’Dea, Keelan Murray, Tommy Gooney, Thomas Kennedy, Conor Saunders, Richie O’Connor, Marc Scarry, Tim Ruane, Jayden Monahan, George Costello, James Kilkenny, Oisin Flannery.