Alan Naughton in form for U14’s in tight contest

There was little between Kinvara & Colemanstown in the league table at the outset of this latest U14 tie and there was still little between them at the end as they ended the game as equals having played out a 1-1 draw. Played in Kinvara yesterday, Colemanstown fielded with the bare 11 tigers and they even fought like tigers showing fierce aggression & hunted for every ball. It is to David Gilligan’s credit that these boys bounced back as some of these lads might have wanted to stay in the ‘Big Brother’ house for the week following last week’s drubbing against West Coast United; but they dusted themselves down and back to the drawing board for what might have been a ‘nervy’ affair. Instead each lad played to his top potential, none more so than our rearguard who were particularly to the fore creating a steady defensive wall, especially centre backs Jason Keane & Josh Brennan with Ethan Lally having a roaming free man role in the middle. Left & right wing backs respectively, Harry Greaney & Shane Burke dominated proceedings keeping the play well organised on the wings and finding space down along the line on numerous occasions. Meanwhile Kinvara also displayed a resolute defense proving difficult to break down. Chances were rare in the first half for both sides as both defences were well on top. Robert Cosgrove up front had the best half chance for Colemanstown. 0-0 at half time. Manager Gilligan’s half time reshuffle made an immediate impact after the restart as Mika Harun dropped back at midfield and Shane Loughrey man marked Kinvara’s six foot ‘Andy Carol’ as Thady Moran & Alan Naughton were employed to cut in from both wings. This affected the fluidity of Kinvara’s play and with great work on the wing fed the pacey Thady Moran who throttled in on goal but was taken down by the keeper to be awarded a penalty. Thady himself took the peno but in fairness the keeper stood his ground well to save the spot kick and still keep the sides deadlocked. Soon afterwards, our goal came in similar fashion as the ball was again fed in from the wing to Alan Naughton and after a great run through the middle he chipped the ball to the left of the keeper for a gleeful goal. It looked for a while that Colemanstown were finding their flow but Kinvara came more into the game and began to camp in our half in search of the all elusive equaliser. Our defence were not giving in however, as they cleared their line on numerous occasions. They cracked however, with 15mins to go as Kinvara scored from a free kick which was parried by the steady Daniel Glynn in goals but the rebound was tapped home. The remainder of the game was played in the middle third of the field with few opportunities falling to either side apart from an occasional threat on the counterattack. Kinvara threatened with a free kick in the last minute when Daniel Glynn had to be vigilant as he threw himself at the ball to push it over the bar. There was no time for the resultant corner as the game ended in stalemate but both sides were more than happy with a draw. We wish Adam Wynne a speedy recovery as he is out of action until late February with a foot injury. This result will boost confidence to no end as already the lads are looking forward to next weekend’s clash against Knocknacarra at home on Saturday.