‘A’ Team’s Spectacle in an exciting Connacht Cup contest

Match report by Gary Devaney on the A team’s spectacle in Round 1 of the Connacht Cup on Sunday last.

After their 7 goal thriller in the league match last month there was an expectation that this Connacht Cup first round match would be more of the same and these two fine teams did not disappoint at home on Sunday morning. Colemanstown took the early lead when Damian Wynne was rewarded for his constant hard work on the wing and was in the right place at the right time when he slotted the ball home from close range. Colemanstown kept the pressure on and were in control of the game until they were caught on the break and West Coast United pulled a goal back. The central midfield pairing of Richie Lally and Gary Lally were well on top and combined to set up Damian Wynne who nearly put Colemanstown ahead again. A West Coast effort from long range forced an outstanding save from keeper Niall Cunningham. The resulting corner was cleared by Padraig Quirke and was worked up to Tomas Flannery who finished beautifully to the West Coast net. Typical attitude from the visitors was to fight back and they got a deserved equaliser just before half time. 2-2 half time. 

Sean Walsh and Tomas Flannery were a constant threat up front from start to finish and Sean Walsh was nearly rewarded with a goal when he skipped past two defenders only to see his effort hit the side netting.  Geordan Kenny, Richie Lally and Damian Wynne all worked hard and had chances but couldn’t find the net. Padraig Quirke and Alan Finn combined to stop a West Coast attack when they scrambled the ball to safety and keeper Niall Cunningham saved another goal bound effort. 

On 75 mins Tomas Flannery set up Geordan Kenny on the right wing who then cut inside two defenders and unleashed a sweet strike to the back of the net. 3-2 to the hosts.

Mossy Carr, Dylan Grady, Shane Lally and David Mullins were introduced to add fresh legs and were straight into the action when the speed of Dylan Grady forced a free on the edge of the box. Alan Finn’s excellent free kick was headed onto the post by Jason Finn. 

It looked like a 3-2 win for Colemanstown until a West Coast break on 90 mins resulted in an outstanding header finding the bottom corner of the Colemanstown net. 

It looked like extra time was looming until Jason Finn decided he didn’t want to play extra time and not only did he defend a West Coast attack but joined Conal Docherty in one last attack for Colemanstown.  He probably doesn’t know himself how it happened but on the 94th minute he found himself in a race with a West Coast defender and the onrushing West Coast keeper and managed to chip the ball into the back of the net before the three of them collided. I don’t know was it the collision or his teammates jumping on him but Jason stayed on the ground for a few minutes. (Not all heroes wear capes). That was the last kick of the game and it was a deserved win for Colemanstown. 

West Coast United deserve huge credit for the way they battled back all through the game. Such a fine soccer team and it was tough on them that they had to travel two hours for an 11am kickoff on a Sunday morning. 

Next up is NUIG at home on Saturday at 4pm. Support would be really appreciated so if you’re part of the club’s official opening celebrations, please stay on to shout on the lads!