‘A’ Team well off the mark against Athenry

Colemanstown’s resistance against Athenry in this local derby played at home yesterday lasted approx 32mins, thanks to some great bravery shown by Niall Gelston in the Colemanstown goals and some sturdy defending by Jason Finn & Alo Finn in defence. Colemanstown suffered their 4th loss this season and their 3rd in the league as a much superior Athenry outfit literally outclassed a somewhat depleted Colemanstown squad. Gelston was called into action as early as 8mins when he punched clear when danger looked at bay. 8 mins later he did well to palm the ball away from a nicely taken Athenry free kick as he faced a strong spring sunshine. A vital interception from Jayo Finn then on 18mins kept Athenry out and as the resultant cross was swung into the danger area moments later Jayo showed superb athleticism in his brilliant diving header which was then cleared by Johnny Lally. 2mins later Colemanstown had half a chance up the other end after the ball dwelled for a while in the box but a weak kick in the end by Conor Jackson was well held by the Athenry custodian. Ray Moran then put in a hard graft on the stand side of the field and did well to win a corner on 22 mins which was taken by Alan Finn and Jayo again went close with a strong header. Gelston did superbly well moments later when he came out to the edge of the box and spread himself well to deny Athenry the opener while in the ensuing play from Athenry, the ball was sent relievingly across the face of goal. Athenry broke the deadlock on 32 mins as Johnny Lally was deemed to have fouled in what appeared a dubious decision by the ref and the quickly taken free kick was worked into the corner, and as the Athenry striker cut in across the goal he finished well from close range. Colemanstown were then offered half a chance as Squelchy sent in a lovely ball from the stand side for the inrushing Lee Murphy who seemed to get choked by the Athenry defence while the ensuing play was cleared by Athenry. 2 mins before the break Gelston was again called into action as he parried the ball away from danger to leave just the solitary goal between them at the break. Colemanstown won a corner a minute after the restart after good combined work from Brierfield duo Squelchy & Paddy Mullins but the resultant corner was well saved by Athenry. Athenry doubled their goal tally 5mins into the 2nd half following a goalmouth scramble which was finished to the net and all of a sudden it looked ominous that there would be no way back for our lads in their new green kit. Athenry made damn sure when they scored a header from a set piece 18mins into the 2nd half and proceeded to dictate play until the end. Ray Moran, Johnny Lally & Gary Lally at midfield provided a few rare bright moments before the end in some nice passages of play. It looks like we might have a bit of a battle on our hands to avoid the drop with some massive games coming up but every cloud has a silver lining…… They play Corrib Rangers back to back for the next 2 consecutive Sundays; at home next Sunday & away the following Sunday.