‘A’ Team share the spoils with Moyne Villa

Dejection cut deep in Colemanstown this morning as the home team may have realised that they have spurned perhaps one of their better chances of an important league win. Having beaten Moyne Villa 4-1 in their previous outing a week earlier, the largest crowd for almost 30 years had turned up expecting to witness a filleting of the Headford side but were left dazed after watching their players eclipsed by the superior resolve of the visitors. That said, it’s hard to win an important game with so many players unavailable and showing a serious lack of commitment. 2mins into the game Ray Moran squandered his chance from a promising position. John Gormally on 16mins made a smashing save as Moyne Villa found themselves clean through on goal. Gormally was called into action again on 33mins when he spread himself well to hang on to a difficult ball from a Moyne Villa free kick. As the momentum was swinging slightly in the visitors favour, they won a free kick deep into their own half. Their striker got a glancing header on the delivery but again Gormally was in class form with a top class quick reflex save. On 42mins Moyne Villa looked like grabbing the opener only for the speed of Squelchy who tracked back to clear the ball off the goal line and keep the game scoreless at the break.

The second half began with Moyne Villa swiftly reduced to 10 men as the visitors right back received two yellow cards in quick succession after lashing out at Alan Finn and then moments later taking a swing at Gary Lally. There’s a bit of boxing in Gary as he avoided the contact beautifully. One third of the way into the half Colemanstown broke the deadlock. Sean Walsh volleyed past Moyne Villas custodian after a fabulous knock on from substitute Rob Lally direct from Gormally’s long kick out. Some Colemanstown chances then went a-begging including a rasper of a strike from Alan Finn which was a fingertip away from finding the bottom corner. It continued to look like one of those days for the boys in green.

Gar Lally also had a chance to put the game to bed on the break but with Villa’s keeper in top form the game was always looking like the visitors might pinch a draw and that’s just what happened. Referee Danny Corbett awarded Moyne Villa a spot kick with 10 minutes left on the clock to really rub salt into the wounds after a challenge from Colemanstown’s centre back on the Moyne Villa striker. Their midfielder converted the spot kick into the bottom left to leave the town wondering what could have been and seen the Headford men heading home with a share of the spoils.

Few could deny, either, that Colemnastown, who almost grasped this victory deserved their moment, even given the lack of current commitment. 1-1 Final score. Thanks to David Killarney for the 2nd half notes.

Team: John Gormally, Ronnie Geraghty, Padraig Quirke, Ronan Carr, Squelchy, Alan Finn, Gareth Lally, Ray Moran, Richie Lally, Geordan Kenny, Sean Walsh, Rob Lally, Matt Moran, Kenny Duane & Mark Kirby.