A Team & Reserve match Update

Our A team game today against city side Galway Hibs who were unbeaten to date lacked the usual spark and intensity. Hibs duly capitalised to pull themselves level minutes after we opened the scoring and so maintain their unbeaten start to their top-flight league campaign. There wasn’t too many chances created by either side and in the end both teams were stuck on stalemate; probably but just about probably a battling 1-1 draw was the best result. Our first chance of the game came on 15mins when Ray Moran & Kegs linked up well together with the latter’s half volley just wide of the target. Our goal came on 30mins, originating from an Alo Finn looping corner into the danger area, which was fumbled by the keeper and Sean Hardy capitalised on the loose ball to tap home. 2mins later, Colemanstown almost doubled their advantage when another Alo Finn corner was taken short to Richie Lally whose effort was goalbound and cleared off the line when the slightest of touches would have finished it to the net as Stephen Rabbitt stretched to connect but another inch in the leg would have done the job!. 5 mins later Hibs scored the equaliser with good work from their midfielder and winger leaving Gelston with no chance in goal. In the 2nd half Kegs had a half volley effort which went agonisingly wide while he had another effort from a header when he connected well to his brother Sean’s free kick but his back post header went right across the front post and inches wide. 1-1 it finished in a match that never really got going but that said there was something in the final scoreline that shouted defiance at the wise-nodding doubters. In the end to take a point from a team unbeaten all season is not a bad thing at all especially given that many of these lads with legs still weary from the Junior C County Football Final the day before, still togged for Colemanstown this morning and put in a stellar shift indeed. We congratulate Pearses footballers on their County Cup victory yesterday and we commiserate with Monivea/Abbey on their Intermediate Connacht football semi-final defeat to Westport in Castlebar today.

Our reserve team yesterday maintained their unbeaten league run with a smash & grab away result against Corrib Celtic. The home side opened the scoring early on with a well finished goal into the far corner. Then Bailey who was so economical with the ball all day, put Stephen Rabbitt through with a ball behind the defence but the latter’s effort went right across the goal and out wide. However, on the 15minute mark, the exact same combination worked perfectly, with the same idea as earlier in the game but this time Rabbitt finished exquisitely. 5 mins later, Bailey on the ball again, this time found Ronnie Geraghty who rounded the goalie but still with plenty of hard work to do on the end line, he slotted in from a tight angle into the far corner. Top scorer Gerry Grady had a first time snap shot which was just off target. 2-1 to Colemanstown at half time. In the second half Corrib Celtic came out a resurged team and for the first 20mins of the half, we defended stoutly led at the back by the rock solid Eoghan ‘Stam’ Barrett who put in a sterling display alongside Paddy McGinty & Stephen Burke. Our defense finally buckled under pressure 22 mins after the restart which allowed the home side in to equalise. With 5mins to go Niall Rohan had the ball in the net when he rose superbly to meet a Kenny Duane free kick which almost certainly looked like the all elusive winner but the goal was ruled out for offside. Then with 3mins left on the clock, came the smash & grab goal as Ronnie Geraghty played a splendid ball over the defenders head into Gerry Grady who struck on the half volley only to see his effort rebound off the front post across to the other post and scramble over the line thanks to the deflection off the far post. Bailey had a late effort when he was clean through on goal but ran out of legs when the young defenders caught up with him!. It was a hard earned win which leaves us sitting proudly on top of the reserve league table but a young Corrib Celtic side may feel this Colemanstown victory was cruelly inflicted on them, that they deserved parity at least. But we’ll take the win with arms outstretched as the 3points may have well been talked about over Sunday breakfast this morning! Next week sees a quieter weekend of football action with only our A team scheduled to play near neighbours St. Bernards at home on Sunday; 11am KO.