A Team lose to Athenry in Michael Byrne Cup

Colemanstown ‘A’ lost to premier league side Athenry in the Michael Byrne Cup at home yesterday but it was hardly the one-way affair that the final scoreline painted. A 6-1 victory to Athenry gave the scoreline a luxury feel for the visitors but in fairness it was tit for tat until over the midway point in the 2nd half although Athenry always looked dangerous on the break.

Colemanstown had to start without the injured Jayo Finn so Gareth Lally had big boots to fill at centre back. However he put in such a shift that his name was almost sung heartily around the stadium as he could simply do no wrong covering every inch of the park. The scene was set for a local battle which had that kind of ambiance with the stand well filled and plenty of banter from both sets of supporters. Athenry opened their account on 8mins from the spot kick after a hand ball which was dispatched well by Dan Cunningham, brother of Greg Cunningham of Premier league side Cardiff City & Irish International. Colemanstown had a great chance to restore parity on 39mins as Squelchy originated the move on the half way line and his cross field pass found the quick legs of young Geordan Kenny whose delivery found John O’Brien but as his effort was blocked, the inrushing Squelch also failed to poke the ball over the line. Moments later Athenry’s Cathal Fahy missed a sitter from a header in front of goal. Athenry had another chance just before half time from Dan Cunningham’s corner but the effort was headed over. Colemanstown made it to the sanctuary of half time 1-0 down and enjoyed their best spell immediately after the restart.

From the tip-off, Ray Moran intercepted a poor kick out and found Tom Flan whose effort was parried away by the keeper but as Flan followed up on the loose ball, he looked to be taken down but the ref awarded a kick out instead. Moments later Ray Moran let fly with an effort but it flew agonisingly over the crossbar. Ray provided the assist for Flan’s effort 6mins after the restart but his effort was hit straight at the keeper and although the keeper failed to hold the ball, there was no one on the end of it to capitalise on the spilled ball. Despite Colemanstown’s golden spell, it was Athenry who drew more blood from a set-piece when Conor Cannon headed home Dan Cunningham’s corner. Cathal Fahy scored No. 3 for Athenry as Edo Flannery failed to hold onto the ball with Fahy on hand to tap home the loose ball. Ray Moran again combined well with Flan but his low hard drill went right across the face of goal. A flurry of corners taken by Damo Wynne, John O’Brien & Ronnie Geraghty saw Gary Lally come close, Alan Finn hit the side net & Padraig Quirke come close. Colemanstown clawed back a goal 30mins into the 2nd half when Gareth Lally’s free from the stand side of the field, was headed on by Quirke and finished by Damo Wynne on the far post. The momentum was short lived though as immediately from the KO Athenry broke up the field & Stephen Cunningham finished to break Colemanstown’s hearts.

Athenry swept in 2 more before the ref called a halt to the game. Their 5th came with 2 mins to go – a smasher from the edge of the 18’box leaving Edo Flannery with absolutely no chance whatsoever. Straight from the KO veteran Seamie Crowe showed pure prowess distinct as he spotted Edo off his line and chipped him to score No. 6 as the ref blew the final whistle.

In the end it was Athenry’s real creativity that really illuminated the game for them but Colemanstown gave them a real game and matched them tit for tat until the last 15mins or so when they were in the ascendancy and pulled away handsomely, therefore changing the complexion of the game for Ronnie Geraghty & David Gilligan’s young side.

Squad: Edo Flannery, Jack Kennedy, Ronnie Geraghty, Gareth Lally, Ronan Carr, Squelchy, Padraig Quirke, Ray Moran,Mossy Carr, Geordan Kenny, John O’ Brien, Tom Flannery, Damo Wynne, Alan Finn, Sean Walsh, Shane Lally, Dylan Grady, Jarlath Healy, Tommy McDonagh.

Meanwhile our U15’s played Athenry in a challenge straight afterwards, this team again managed by David Gilligan who by the time the game ended had spent almost 5 hours at the pitch. Our boys won 3-0; the goals coming from Josh McGuire-Greaney with a classic header and an equally classic post goal celebration, Niall McDonagh waited for his mothers arrival to score and an absolute piledriver from the edge of the box from Micháel Ryan.

On ladies soccer, the club are trying to revive our ladies team of old. If you’re interested in playing ladies soccer this season, please contact any committee member.