‘A’ team back on track with win over Corrib Celtic in FAI Cup

Our ‘A’ team got back to winning ways as they advanced in the first round of the FAI cup when they beat premier league side Corrib Celtic 4-3 in a pulsating game on Sunday last. This win brings confidence back into the squad following their recent set back against Salthill. In this latest encounter they had to claw their way back from an early slumber as they were 1-0 down after 5mins when the Annaghdown side took their goal chance well despite the best efforts of Colemanstown’s stand-in keeper Trevor Mullins. Damian Wynne levelled matters on the quarter hour mark when he slotted his effort past the stranded keeper following an inch perfect pass from the industrious Ray Moran. 10mins later Kerrill Hardy got the first of his two smartly taken goals when he rose highest to a Ray Moran cross to head home from close range. 6mins later great combination play between the aforementioned Kerrill Hardy &Ray Moran was rewarded as Kerrill Hardy read the game well to run on and gather Ray Moran’s back heel and slot the ball neatly under the keeper’s legs. There was no Tom Flan to lead up front in this game but Kerrill Hardy ably filled his boots on this occasion. Alan Finn also had a free kick which was inches wide but there was no other conspicuous clear cut first half chances to note. Early in the second half, Stephen Walsh missed a great one-on-one effort but somehow seemed to fumble the ball and himself at the most inopportune time. Colemanstown’s failure to kill the game at this stage meant there was always a bit of hope for Corrib Celtic. They clung on and never gave up as they fought their way back in to contention. A long free kick over the top resulted in a mix up between the Colemanstown defense and keeper as the ball dribbled over the Colemanstown goal line. Minutes later they levelled matters with a well taken header and all of a sudden Corrib Celtic were back in the game. From there until the end Colemanstown got more aggressive in a bid to drag this game out of a slump. Kerrill Hardy broke from midfield with powerful speed in an exciting move, his effort passed the keeper but was cleared off the line. Alan Finn ensured it was Colemanstown who progressed to round 2 of the FAI Cup as his beautifully executed free kick found the top corner with 5 mins to go. It was a good all round performance and more importantly the lads are back again on winning ways.